New Player Micro Limit Dillemma

• sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      I seem to have trouble winning in Micro limit, .1/.2 cents because of the following problems.

1) the opponent will call anything even if i try to protect my hand and he will almost always hit the draw with horrible cards.
      2)He will not call anything even a cent, if i have a GOOD hand.
      3) Ill have to call their raise on the flop after c-bet with a decent hand(top pair high kicker lets say) because they bet with low pair other rounds....but now they flop a straight or two pair.
      4)they slow play a monster hand right till the end.

Its not like im losing money, technically im over the 50 capital, but im not making a profit either. I see some really good players have made big profits in these limits. Am i just a total donk or something?
      Trying to play ABC poker at this limit for now.
  • 6 replies
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sharkfin9000
      I seem to have trouble winning in Micro limit, .1/.2 cents because of the following problems.

1) the opponent will call anything even if i try to protect my hand and he will almost always hit the draw with horrible cards.
      2)He will not call anything even a cent, if i have a GOOD hand.
      3) Ill have to call their raise on the flop after c-bet with a decent hand(top pair high kicker lets say) because they bet with low pair other rounds....but now they flop a straight or two pair.
      4)they slow play a monster hand right till the end.

Its not like im losing money, technically im over the 50 capital, but im not making a profit either. I see some really good players have made big profits in these limits. Am i just a total donk or something?
      Trying to play ABC poker at this limit for now.
      If all you say was happenning EVERYTIME as you say, you would not be winning :) . Poker is a game of small edges so at low limits you tend to earn very lowly and variance is a lot higher because as you say some people tend to call with everything. The good point with high variance is when you have a good day you have a good day :D . the important thing is to keep strict BRM and stop if you feel tilt coming. At higher limits errors are more costly and you make money a lot faster. for example at NL2 (level your playing now) if you double your fullstack you make $2. however a player at NL200 would make $200 (Sorry if I state something obvious)

You should try not to think in terms of money but in terms of play -- did you play well, could you have played better -- and that goes for each individual hand. If you make the right call / raise at the right time and you opponent wins the hand. It's alright because over time you will earn money.
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      give plo a go
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      ok i guess ur right, im trying to play good, but when i dont see good enough profits, like just break even play then i feel that my play is NOT good enough especially at the lowest possible level.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      One common issue is that players overestimate the profits they should expect.

Bad play by your opponents generally helps you. Because poker is a game of skill and chance, your opponents' mistakes do not lose every time. If you move up to tougher games with fewer players who make predictable large errors, the win rate you can achieve will go down.

I don't know what win rates are achievable at the NL $2 level. Many players are proud of getting an 8 big blind/100 hand win rate in some higher stakes games, or set that as a goal. If you win at this rate at NL $2, you win $0.16 every 100 hands, and doubling your initial $50 would take about 30k hands. This may be hard to believe if you have a good session and your good hands get paid off and hold up, but a lot of your wins are balanced by times when you don't get good hands, you run into better, your draws don't hit, etc. A higher win rate is probably possible because you encounter so many crazy players in the lowest stakes games available.
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      ok so i dont need to aim for insane amounts of money, not insane, but i did wanna aim for maybe a dollar a day at least. I saw some platinum guy, with 40$ profit off of .1/.2 cents table with like a 100 or 150 hands....so i just felt wow i mean if he can go that fast then im doing something wrong if im staying break even at 450 hands. LoL.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sharkfin9000
      ok so i dont need to aim for insane amounts of money, not insane, but i did wanna aim for maybe a dollar a day at least. I saw some platinum guy, with 40$ profit off of .1/.2 cents table with like a 100 or 150 hands....so i just felt wow i mean if he can go that fast then im doing something wrong if im staying break even at 450 hands. LoL.
      for your example..

$40 = 20 stacks or 2000BB
      He'd be running between 2000BB/100 and 1333BB/100
      this is beyond rediculous. You have to win an all in every 5 hands and not lose any of them(for 100 hands). The odds of winning the lottery are probably not much worse.

normal profits i believe are 10-20bb/100 hands at your limit.. I've seen alot of people have near 80BB/100 hands though because they crush it. 450 hands is really not a sample size you can judge something off. You need to put in more volume and try 3-4 tabling imo.