[NL20-NL50] NL 50 FR, JJ backraise

• oedipa
      oedipa
      Bronze
      No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (7 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

MP1 ($40)
      Hero (MP2) ($51.60)
      CO ($17.50)
      Button ($49.25)
      SB ($62.55) 47/16 20 hands
      BB ($50.70)
      UTG ($50)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J, J
      UTG bets $1.50, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.50, 1 fold, Button calls $1.50, SB raises $6.25, 2 folds, Hero raises $50.10 (All-In), 1 fold, SB calls $45.10

The opponent looked fishy and the raise was pretty small, so I went for a backraise.
      Is this move sometimes profitable? we need to know that villain is bluffing sometimes or shoving worse? I dont know if the move was +EV and how to make it +EV.
      Could somebody help me?
      thank you :)
  • 5 replies
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Hi!

I think whether it's okay to play for stacks here depends on what kind of fish he is. It's hard to say from just the stats of 20 hands, however if you think he is capable of bluffing or that JJ beats most of his hands here go ahead, but it will probably be a high variance play unless he is calling you with trash. You certainly never have to shove JJ here if you aren't comfortable with it.

Also I don't know about just shoving straight away. I would probably make it 18.75 if I chose to raise, but I would like to hear someones opinion on that as well.

As for the move itself, assuming you are talking about re-raising after being squeezed, it can of course be very profitable in the right spots against aggressive opponents who are capable of squeezing.

Anyways those are just my thoughts so I might be completely wrong. :f_cool:
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      depends how often you´d expect Sb to squeeze there or if he 3-bets smt like TT/AQ would he call shove these hands
      Generally I think it is fine if player can squeeze light, if not then call and playing postflop or fold is better options
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      main thing is sQz size - its really small (should be more like $8). So imo this is either a weakish hand or very strong.

If you want a Quiet life i just fold (or maybe call for sv ip) but if you think villain can sQz light, I prefer to 4b to around $15 instead of shoving. If youve decided to go with your hand anyway, when you shove hes probably not calling with less than QQ/AK, whereas if you 4b normally he may think you"re trying to get him off his hand and shove with 99/TT/AQs as well (to clarify, Im not 4b folding here)
    • oedipa
      oedipa
      Bronze
      thank you for your advices :)
      I was also thinking about this hand and I came to conclusion.
      This is what actions I like, 1 the best, 4 the worst.
      1. call 2. fold 3. 4-bet to 14 4. shove
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by oedipa
      thank you for your advices :)
      I was also thinking about this hand and I came to conclusion.
      This is what actions I like, 1 the best, 4 the worst.
      1. call 2. fold 3. 4-bet to 14 4. shove
      imo shove is not really the worst option, since players don´t generally expect you to flat with JJ at that spot, so they would very likely call shove with 99+/AQ, putting you on AQ or small pp against JJ is doing fine