community cards form the best hand ?

• Tiffy2
      Tiffy2
      Bronze
      It's not unusual that the five community cards form a "monster" hand by themselves (if you understand what I mean).

So, what player wins ?

I can understand some situations. If the community cards form a straight, king to nine, then a player with an ace will win. But if nobody has an ace, who will win then ?

There is probably some strategy article that explains this, but I can't find it.

I might have missed something basic about poker hands. It just needs to be pointed out to me.
  • 5 replies
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Tiffy2,

If all players on the showdown have the same hand, then the pot will be split.

For example
      K :diamond: Q :club: J :heart: T :spade: 9 :spade:

Player one has K :heart: 8 :heart:
      Player two has 5 :diamond: 6 :club:

Now both players will win half of the pot each.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
      Hannes
    • L3ST
      L3ST
      Bronze
      In poker you're playing the best 5 cards you can make with two, one or none of your hole cards.

In your example Tiffy2: if no player has an ace it's a split pot.

Example of split pots:

Player 1: 2 :diamond: 3 :club:
      Player 2: A :heart: A :diamond:

Board: K :spade: K :heart: K :diamond: K :club: A :spade:

In HannesZ's example actually one player has a pair of kings with 8 kicker, so it's not a split pot
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by L3ST
      In HannesZ's example actually one player has a pair of kings with 8 kicker, so it's not a split pot
      :f_biggrin:

Thanks fixed.
    • Tiffy2
      Tiffy2
      Bronze
      Sorry, but I am confused again.

Do you mean that you can have two (poker) hands at the same time ?

To use HannesZ's example. First a straight formed by the cards on the board, then, secondly, at the same time, a pair of kings formed by one card from the board and one from the player's hole cards.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hi Tiffy2

In Holdem, each player's hand is formed by the best hand they can make from a combination of their two hole cards and the five community cards. So you use all of those cards to make the best five card hand you can.

Each player then compares their hands and the best one wins the showdown.

If both players best hand is made from the five community cards then they have a push / split pot / the same hand.

As you've noted, if one player has a card that gives them a better hand (eg they use four community cards and one of their hole cards to give them a better straight) then that player wins as they have the better hand.

To use your example, if the community cards are KQJT9, and one player holds an A, one player has a Khigh straight (5 community cards) and one player has an A high straight (4 community cards, one hole card).

Hope this is clearer!