Coaching @ PLO2

• logieuk
      logieuk
      Basic
      Hey o/

Been struggling with PLO2. I do ok with most hands, when it comes to getting AI i seem to be getting it wrong most of the time, although a few times i have been unlucky, which happens in PLO.

I have not used this site much, but i do have all DC PLO Vids, Jeff Hwang books, but i still feel im missing something.

Another problem is playing too tight. For example, my HEM shows im VPIP of around 20 on the btn! (Around 11k hands)

But is it feesable to pay for coaching at PLO2? I work so have money and won't be using my poker money, but i dont have tons to spend as i pay for 2 cars, house etc :)
  • 9 replies
    • cojonel
      cojonel
      Global
      who the hell will coach plo2?made my day
    • logieuk
      logieuk
      Basic
      Glad your day is made by simple things...
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey logieuk

The best thing you can do to start with is post hands in the forum. I guess as a basic member you could post them in this thread.. I don't suppose the folks will be too upset with that (correct me if I'm wrong here, folksss).

As a fellow PLO microstakes player and seasoned pro at these limits (I've been playing PLO for almost a whole week now) I know how difficult it is to assimilate the theory in the heat of action (such the cauldron that PLO2 is!). Reviewing your own play and posting all hands you're unsure of is the best and fastest way to improve.

If you haven't already purchased a tracker I recommend downloading either HEM Omaha Manager or PokerTracker3 Omaha. You can download and trial both out one after the other and make the purchase once you decide which you like best. This will make analysing your play much simpler than trawling through raw hand histories and help you with getting reads.

Are you able to play tracked to a poker strategy site? As you move up the rankings you can get access to more of our strategy article and video content to help reinforce the stuff you already have.

Hope this helps. :f_biggrin:
    • logieuk
      logieuk
      Basic
      Hi Wai,

Yea linked my PS account to here. So more i play more i rank is it? also have HEM with NL+PLO.

I got books and vids etc, but when i struggle with NL i had 1.5 hr lesson and i was winning every since, didnt take long to move from NL2, NL5 then up to NL10, just got bored of NL though!

I got $400 i might put on and move to PLO10, but if i lack confidence at PLO2, pointless playing PLO10 :P
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      As I've indicated, I'm no expert, but I think the extra complexity of PLO preflop and flop play would make an 1.5 hour private coaching of only limited value compared to posting a ton of hands.

Your status improves as you pay rake and earn PokerStrategy status points. Once you hit silver (ie earn 100 status points in your best 28 days over a 42 day period) you get access to the hand posting forum (although you can (and should IMO) use the strategy discussion forum), and you can also join in with Ribbo's Omaha coaching. I understand he addresses different Omaha game variants in each coaching but I'm sure if you had any questions he'd be more than happy to answer them.

The other thing you could try is to appeal to the PLO community to see if any of the better players might let you sweat them. There's no guarantees on that one, but you can only try!

GL! :s_cool:
    • logieuk
      logieuk
      Basic
      Think its a bit daft that people cant post hands untill they play for 28 days etc. I post alot on 2+2, will also look into Ribbos coaching, got some of his DC vids which i enjoy!
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Weeeellll... you could post after one day if you earned 100 SPs on that day! But to determine your status they take the best 28 of 42 days at any given time. And as I say you can always post hands in the discussion forum pending getting the higher status.

The omaha hand forum is at Silver status as generally our new players are using the free $50 PS.com bank roll with little or no understanding of poker strategy. As such it is generally a bad idea for new players to try to learn PLO given it's complexity and higher variance than other games. Hence making the hand posting forum require silver status as a disincentive to start out with this game.

Anywhom, best of luck with the study and I'll look forward to seeing you around the forums!
    • SickAtHome
      SickAtHome
      Bronze
      Perhaps it's just me, but it looks like the hand posting forum is basic+?
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      I love bumbing old threads! :f_love:

If someone is struggling in PLO2, there are usually 2 reasons. One is some major leaks in fundamentals. Like opening hand ranges, when to push stacks in for value and when to fold pretty good hands etc.

Other is mental issues. PLO2 is very different from PLO10, as there are usually tons of villains in pots, and hald of them can't spell F-O-L-D. So you it's pretty hard to make money on just open raise and make a continuation bet. So you have to change your gameplan a little what it might be in PLO10.

As in "higher" limits the 3 most important things in PLO are position, position and position. In PLO2 those 3 things are value, value and value. :)

I know it sounds silly if someone asks for private coaching in PLO2, as usually all the private coaching advertisements are for higher limits and $100+ per hour. But I have given some private lessons in micros, and for very affordable prize. I think that 1h or 1,5h coaching can give a lot. If I watch 30 minutes of someone playing like 3-4 tables, it's easy to spot those major leaks (and if someone is struggling in PLO2 there ARE some major leaks) and then those can be discussed for another half an hour or so. So for 1-1,5 hour coaching, the student knows his leaks, why they are leaks, and how to repair them. If someone gives him that for few bucks, it's pretty good thing to start.