This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] nl50 Rush - QKs / fd+g/shot on turn

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      SB ($47.30)
      BB ($51.50)
      UTG ($249)
      UTG+1 ($18.25)
      CO ($57.55)
      Hero ($92.55)

Dealt to Hero K:diamond: Q:diamond:

fold, fold, CO raises to $1.30, Hero calls $1.30, fold, fold

FLOP ($3.35) 2:spade: 9:diamond: J:club:

CO bets $2.50, Hero calls $2.50

TURN ($8.35) 2:spade: 9:diamond: J:club: J:diamond:

CO bets $5.75, Hero raises to $15, CO raises to $35, Hero folds

CO wins $36.45

villain unknown: 25/20/3, wts 25/ 92hs.
      Is turn a decent spot for a raise with our hand in general? I felt like once villain 3b big I have no feQ anymore so Im probably up against {Jx,KK,AA,99/QT} in which case shoving would be a pretty big mistake?

thanks
  • 4 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I´d generally raise flop with gutshot and two overcards, but if you call then I think you can also call turn. You have a lot of equity against Jx or overpairs but if you raise and get 3-bet then mostly his range is Jx+ and you have to fold hand with a lot of equity.
      Also he is not barreling turn too many times with air, so you can´t be sure you have there huge amount of fold equity and if he b/c, you still would miss quite a lot of rivers and not sure you want to shove then K high
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      I agree with that - if he calls our raise, river is difficult. I thought that villain would barrel this turn pretty often since he knows that without a J or strong hand I have to give up a lot. And that facing a raise he must give up a wide range so I thought our feQ was pretty big?

If we flat the turn (which I agree should be fine), if river is :diamond: or T, our draw is quite obvious if villain checks and we bet? So sometimes he just check/fold river and we dont get paid enough to justify our call.

One more thing, you said you would often raise flop with g/sh+overs. Is that because you assume overcds will be good against the range he continues with?
      Reason I ask is, if villain calls our flop raise with hands that are ok on this board (Jx/A9/TT/QQ/KK/AA) we cant necessarily count K or Q as an out to the best hand - or do I have it wrong?

thanks
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      I agree with that - if he calls our raise, river is difficult. I thought that villain would barrel this turn pretty often since he knows that without a J or strong hand I have to give up a lot. And that facing a raise he must give up a wide range so I thought our feQ was pretty big?

If we flat the turn (which I agree should be fine), if river is :diamond: or T, our draw is quite obvious if villain checks and we bet? So sometimes he just check/fold river and we dont get paid enough to justify our call.

One more thing, you said you would often raise flop with g/sh+overs. Is that because you assume overcds will be good against the range he continues with?
      Reason I ask is, if villain calls our flop raise with hands that are ok on this board (Jx/A9/TT/QQ/KK/AA) we cant necessarily count K or Q as an out to the best hand - or do I have it wrong?

thanks
      if villain barrels there very often then our fold equity is quite big, but also he would take c/f line hands that has no equity, like 54 or can easily just c/c hands that has showdown value, starting 9x and ending pp-s. Players don´t really put you on backdoor diamonds or KQ that would c/f river overpairs or Jx, also we´re quite a lot of draws that he might barrel on the turn. So I think turn call there is quite standard.
      About raising flop: players won´t really bet/3-bet hands like QT/T8 on the flop, so if I raise flop with my hand I force out all air that might barrel quite a lot turn cards, some better made hands would b/f flop, like 55 and even if he b/c it is not the end of the world, since we have quite a lot of equity and can decide if we want to barrel river or take our free cards. So I´m not really planning b/c a lot of Q and K turns, rather take pot control line and then either valuebet river or call his river bet.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Ok, that's helpful - thanks