How to improve my FL O8 game?

• SpaceMarine
      SpaceMarine
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I am looking for some advice how to better study Fixed Limit O8 by myself.

I watched 95% of the Videos on FL O8 that are out there in the web.

I had various sweat-sessions via skype.

I played other games like PL O8 and FL Holdem for a long time, but I still suck at O8.

Still I struggle to beat 2$/4$. So I am looking for some advice:

What did help you the most, when you learned O8?

Was it looking over hands? Was it talking to a coach? Was it just grinding 500.000 Hands and gaining experience?

What kind of leak was the toughest you had to overcome to improve your game?

What kinf of leak was the easiest to overcome, but that changed your game the most?

ty for input <3
  • 6 replies
    • SpaceMarine
      SpaceMarine
      Bronze
      push
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      The value of FLO8 comes from good starting hands. You are not interested in playing hands purely for equity purposes, but also for the visibility of the hand. In other words, there is no point playing a hand preflop if you don't know it is the best hand post flop. So the times you call with something like AT95 and the flop comes 679, you might be good with the equity, but you can never really bet the hand hard, especially multiway, as you could also be crushed.

So you're looking to play hands that when you hit, you can bet the hell out of, KQJT has a lot less real equity than AT95, but gets a lot more value when it hits. This should be a good starting point to focus on.
    • SpaceMarine
      SpaceMarine
      Bronze
      so you are saying that playability hands (hi-wraps) are better/easier to play then (A4T8 / A5J8) hands

what about low/middle wraps TJ87 / 789T ?

would you defend hands like those hi-wraps against any open?
      what about low-wraps?

can "playability" be an excuse to play "poorish" hands like hi-only hands?
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      playability means being able to bet your hand when it's ahead. You're not interested in winning pots, you're interested in winning money. :f_biggrin:
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      *Disclaimer: I mostly don't know what I'm talking about, but I think I understand what Ribbo is saying here. Ignore this advice without any qualms if it looks ridiculous.

Originally posted by SpaceMarine
      what about low/middle wraps TJ87 / 789T ?
      What flops will you hit with these that you can confidently, and I quote the master here, "bet the hell out of"?

can "playability" be an excuse to play "poorish" hands like hi-only hands?
      Hi only hands are fine, as long as when they hit, they are the nuts and you can happily bet fast and hard, and fold when they don't hit hard.

Hope this was helpful rather than bollocks.
    • OrcaAoc
      OrcaAoc
      Silver
      So you're looking to play hands that when you hit, you can bet the hell out of, KQJT has a lot less real equity than AT95,

I partly disagree on your concept. The Problem with a hand like KQJT is that you arent getting so much value when you hit at least in a shorthanded game because very often your opponent will have absolutely nada in that case.

Thus in my opinion you have to distinguish a lot here between different game types and playing levels, in a low level fullring game I fully agree with your argumentation.

So some advice to SpaceMarine. If you ask questions more precise you will get much better and much more specific answers.