Losing player looking for help

• CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I do really well in live poker games. I play 10-20$ sit and go's (6 to 18ish people) in bars and with friends of friends, I don't have a bank roll for live games because I play for fun mostly. However, I do keep track of my winnings/loses and I'm currently up 120$ in live poker games, but I just can't seem to win in online poker games. I mostly play 1$ SnGs on PartyPoker. Im very annoyed that they dont have normal speed games at this level because it feels that there is a lot more luck in turbo speed becasue the blinds increase so fast. Anyways, I have mastered the ICM trainer and have read all the articles on this site and I have even read a few books about online sit and go's but yet I'm still a losing player online. I also watch a lot of poker on TV. I think I have a pretty good feel of poker in general. (i.e. I'm able to fold AJ, AQ when re raised in sit and go's and I'm able to throw away my pocket kings because of an ace on the flop ).

I have 30$ left in my bank roll, I'm thinking of taking a break and restarting to play during Christmas break when I will have time to read tons of stuff about poker before replaying and grind tons of 1$ SnGs.

So basically what I'm asking is: Other then reading and studying articles. How can I improve in order stop being a losing player in online sit and go's. It doesn't feel like I improve while playing online because I just play like I always play and I'm not able to see my opponents hands when I fold so I cant know if I played well or bad because I can't really discuss about the hand with the opponent after the game like I do In live poker games. Has anyone else been a losing player for a long time before becoming a winning player? I'm able to beat some 0.01$/0.02$ limit tables but I just get sooo bored of grinding them.

Thanks!

(Sorry for wall of text)
  • 9 replies
    • flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      Change sites as party poker charges 20% rake for its micro SnGs, very difficult to turn out a profit while paying this amount of rake.

Maybe others could help here, but there is other sites that will only take a 10% rake, even in the micros.
    • strosdegoz
      strosdegoz
      Bronze
      Change poker room, keep on reading, try different type of SNGs, different levels which will mean different players.

If you don't want the same results then you need to stop doing the same thing.
      Poker Room and SNG Structure.
    • erptech
      erptech
      Platinum
      The best thing is to find someone on the same level and play some sweat sessions, review sessions together both yours and his.
      This is the fastest way to improve and it costs nothing.
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      I seem to do much better vs players that are higher level. I can read them a lot better. But it seems very risky for my bankroll to play 6$ SnG.
    • strosdegoz
      strosdegoz
      Bronze
      Then play live if you really play well then playing against average good players is better than playing against nuts, because when you play against nuts they will never respect your movements, so you have to play basic poker.

Fold a lot, Bet small without hand and bet strong with a hand and thats it.
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      After a lot of poker this weekend Im currently at +30$. I have been playing 2$ and 5$ SnGs. Seems a lot easier to get reads on opponents and also the rake is a lot less. Only 16% rake for the 5$ games. I feel very confortable playing the 5$ ones but is it too risky for my bankroll of 80$ to play 5$ SnGs?
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      yeah im a complete noob in online poker, however i used to play sngs on partypoker and they are too fast its all based on luck, if u dont catch anything good then u get blinded out really quick.
      Also they charge huge rake, thats true, pokerstars is very good lots of variety, rakes are low i believe.

Full tilt also charges 20 cent rake for 1 dollar sng, so i dont play those. But they give 27% rakeback for cash games....and tourney haha.
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      yeah full tilt charges 20% at the $1 SnG's but only charge 1/8 of the buy in for $2 SnG's, ($2.25) and the £5 ones are 10% at $5.50

oh, and you can choose between normal speed and turbo's even at micros
    • Depor07
      Depor07
      Bronze
      Your already a winning player in turbo pub tournaments right? The problem is Party Pokers SNSs are a little too fast, which will cut down on your profit.
      The difference in the two games as I see it is with 15 min blinds and 18 players there is a brief period where you can play poker, be trappy ect. In the online version this doesnt really exist. Even with the 15 min blinds there is still time to wait for hands ect.
      In the Party Poker games the time seems extreemely brief. I have a winning record in these banana games and in the pub tournies as well I think the key to the turbo SNSs is to understand.
      1 - Your playing against monkeys
      2 - You can hang on and be patient
      3 - You will be called more often then ICM says, stick to high As and Pocket pairs for your all ins (The fold equity implicit in the program does not apply here, of course once your down under 10BB, theres not much you can do but shove or fold with some aweful hands)
      4 - Any hand must be played fast, keep betting you will generally be called
      5 - Be prepared to be drawn out on, people are taking 30% chances to double up thier stack so they can survive
      In many ways the games are similar, it is alot harder to pick the weaker players in the SNGs, so play basic poker nothing fancy. The structure sucks but everyone is making mistakes as a result and its not hard to come in the money, just make less mistakes then the opposition.
      Oh yeh and the software on Party Poker sucks, Pokerstars is much better but a tougher class of player.