This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

NL100 Nasty turn; thoughts?

• karmi
      karmi
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.5/$1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $100.00
      CO:
      $73.15
      BU (Hero):
      $100.00
      SB:
      $100.00
      BB:
      $101.50
      MP2:
      $26.40

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, J.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $3.50, CO folds, Hero calls $3.50, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($8.5) 4, J, K (2 players)
      MP3 bets $6.00, Hero raises to $15.00, MP3 calls $9.00.

Turn: ($38.5) Q (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $26.50, MP3 raises to $81.50(All-In), Hero calls $55.00(All-In).

River: ($201.5) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $201.5.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, kings and jacks(K J).
      MP3 shows two pairs, kings and fours(9 K).

Hero wins with two pairs, kings and jacks(K J).

So here was me; playing NL25; after losing a couple of buyins (1 unavoidable; set over set; the others I have evaluated and could have folded earlier streets) I did what everyone should NOT do and went to NL100 with the sole intention of losing my bankroll it seems ($750ish). I sat down at 3 tables (only 3 going tonight with spaces) and sat and looked for the weak looking players; one of which was the villian in this hand.

Now, under normal circumstances, ie non tilted rational minded thinking and without a read on villian (losing player; -8b100/10k+hands @ nl25+ / 69 / 38 over 28 hands) how does your play look on this hand?

For example; versus a tighter player I would contemplate a fold alot of the time here, KQ / KJ / 44 / QQ / QJ / KK / JJ are all in his raising range obviously but so is alot of trash. If he had a set here, I think he'd make that exact same play and it could well be what he was trying to represent but I tank called based on situation anyway and managed to turn a negative session into a positive. I really think hands like this are my biggest leaks; I am a sucker for paying off sets with 2pair / flatting streets with TPTK vs weak opponents and them showing down a set; and if I could tighten that up my winrate would be so much more substantial 4.15bb/100 over 14,000 hands atm.
  • 3 replies
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      After you bet on the turn, I think you have to call this one off given the odds you're getting. Two many pair + draw hands in his range and with his stats he has a pretty wide range anyway.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      against that player I snap call. easy as.

I think maybe you got phased cos its 100NL? Play within BRM and calls like this should be easy
    • karmi
      karmi
      Bronze
      Thanks for the input guys, I guess it was purely the money making me think differently. I need to get out of the habit of letting the bet sizes/stakes affecting my play to such an extent. For some reason, I have always had a thing about regarding pot bets as alot more strength then 2/3, same with 4x pre as opposed to 3x / 3.5x.

Went back to NL25 today, 1000 hands +$134 in 1h or so; ran pretty nicely; have started overbetting/shoving rivers in better spots now and am getting paid out of it generously. Alot of guys just HOLDING on, with a KQ type hand on a Kxxxx board who are willing to pay off a pot shove/overbet on the river. Love it!

My stats @ NL25 over 11k hands are: 17.3vpip / 14.9 pfr / 3.5 agg /3.4 3bet and up $295.40 + $74.30 of rakeback = $369.70. Doesnt seem like alot for 11k hands work, but I have been improving my game a hell of alot, started at 4tables of NL25 and just thinking about everything, every bet and scenario in more detail and still only 8 tabling now to try increase any 'edge' I might have. One thing to note is there is ALOT of fishy regs at NL25, by this I mean losing regs and I have notes on all of them! I am certainly no shark, but I can exploit these players with ease! :P

Is it me or is NL25 alot softer on FT then NL10? I mean, I beat NL10 with a small winrate + rake over a larger sample but NL25 just SEEMS softer; certainly alot easier for my style of play but cant comment too much over just an 11k sample I guess; got 46,000 of NL10 playing part time and can honestly say I never want to ever have to return to this limit, going busto is no option!