$368.57 - $1000 The Mecon challenge

• Donmecon
      Donmecon
      Bronze
      My name is Mecon and I have decided to write a blog about my poker play to try and show everyone that quite simply you are either lucky at poker or unlucky. I am unfortunately in the second category. Although I have turned my orginal $100 into a current $368.57 this has been over a year and a half and has been constantly dogged by horrendous bad beats.

Only today in a cash game I lost $5 with AA against 10 10. This is why I have decided to write this blog as it keeps me off the poker table which I'm sure has recently taken years off my life. My winnings has all come from Sit N Go and MTT. Cash games is where I struggle most and everytime someone shoves and I'm holding a monster they suck out on me. Funny I rarely get lucky against someone else when I go all in with the worst hand. They say luck evens itself out well thats complete rubbish.

I know some of you will say that I shouldn't moan because at least I have made a profit playing the game but I don't want to spend my life winning peanuts. If thats all gods offering me then I would rather pack up th game.
      I have studied for hours on end and my knowledge of situations is second to none.

My goal is to reach $1000 dollars but I just hope it dosen't take me another 4 years because at the rate I'm winning it will.

Anyway I am gonna write down every bad beat I get and everytime I get lucky ( I wish ) and keep a regular update of what progres I'm making or not. Sorry for moaning but I'm a bit fed up as you can gather. Just want some luck - Please !
  • 13 replies
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      how much tournies have you played in this year and a half? you could say the same if you play 1 tourney, win 268$ in it and say that you are at 368.57$ after year and a half. ;)

Im quite unlucky too (in my eyes). But I guess, if you play more it really evens out. Always you will remember bad beats you got in stead of bad beats you have made, so..

Anyways.. Good luck at your challenge! I hope it wont take you that long. :)
    • Donmecon
      Donmecon
      Bronze
      Just to get a bit of confidence back I decided to drop to the lowest buy in of $1 in a 6-max Sit N Go.

I have read that Annette Oberstad played this game almost to the exclusion of others in her early days so as I have been successful to a degree at Sit N Go I decided to give it a whirl.

I played well and found myself heads up. Admittedly Heads Up is a weak part of my game but I had the chip lead so was hopeful. Unfortunately for me the confidence boosting win was not to materialise as once again my months of bad luck continued. Dealt AA I was over the moon when after a raise my opponent shipped in his chips into the middle, of which I obviously called immediately. He had 77 and as you can guess a 7 appeared. Yesterday as reported I lost a big cash pot with AA v 10 10.

Luck has not even come close to evening itself out with me. Also yesterday after posting my blog I entered a MTT and finished well down the field after once again getting my chips in with the best hand only to lose.

I feel totally dejected at the moment. I am playing good poker and 95% of the time getting my chips in with the best hand but constant bad luck has ripped the confidence out of me.

I shall keep going in the hope that there is some sort of light at the end of this long dark tunnel. Think I will stick at very low stakes for a bit.
    • radler101
      radler101
      Bronze
      I sometimes feel the same. But it's all about mindset. If you want to play poker, you have to be ready for your AA get crushed a lots of times - it's the beauty of the game (although it hurts :) ). If you put in a lot of volume, it will probably even out.

But good luck with your challenge and work on mindset! ;)
    • Donmecon
      Donmecon
      Bronze
      Well since my last update very little has changed. My balance stands at $375.29 after session after session of playing cash games. I suppose I have climbed by about $7 but for the effort it is little reward. Cash games in my opinion are based on too much luck. I have had some huge hands, sets, straights even flushes etc and in 6 handed cash games you would expect to win probably 95% of those hands. Not me, I have had relentless bad luck and lost my temper on more than one occasion. That is something I am trying to control but it is hard with so much bad luck. I won a couple of big pots but they were from nutters. One even raised all in pre-flop $4 with J3 suited, I was holding AA. The big hands I won wasn't from skill on my part but bad play from others.

Anyway I have progressed a bit on my balance so I suppose can't grumble too much. I am now going to turn my attention to 90 player tourneys. I have had good success at these games. I would like to reach $400 by christmas so for now that is my target.
    • Yoshimitsu77
      Yoshimitsu77
      Bronze
      you think your unlucky, try being Phil Helmuth clearly the best player ever to exist but is just unlucky and always gets donked
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Originally posted by weller123
      you think your unlucky, try being Phil Helmuth clearly the best player ever to exist but is just unlucky and always gets donked
      hmmm? Phil is that you?

Anyways don't give up :)
      Suggesting the poker mindset for a book to help you!
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      Originally posted by weller123
      I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic of not but it made me laugh all the same.

Donmecon good luck in your challenge
    • Donmecon
      Donmecon
      Bronze
      Well since my last update I have stuck with cash games. I was starting to make some headway and had reached $385 with small and controlled pots. I like to keep the pots small unless I am ultra stong and I never gamble with bad pot odds. Anyway it all came crashing down again from a bad beat. Holding J 10 suited in the BB I called a raise.
      The flop was 7c 8c 9h so I had flopped the nuts. I checked to the raise who raised half the pot . I re-raised as two clubs were showing but this didn't deter my opponent who re-raised again. I now pushed all in for my $5 whereupon he showed 8d 9s (two pair) He had 4 outs so I was a massive favourite. The bad beats always seem to appear on the big hands. Yes a 9 appeared.

I am now on $379.05 which is still up on my last report but once again luck plays a massive part and with me it feels mainly all bad luck.
      Anyway I will reach $400 by christmas.
    • Donmecon
      Donmecon
      Bronze
      Felt like writing tonight to let some steam off. Once again my luck is zero with endless bad luck. I have analysed my play and apart from a couple of incorrect decisions have played well. Unfortunately as I have always believed poker is 99% luck.

I won't go into the hands as it makes me feel sick thinking about them but suffice to say my balance is dropping fast. I am now on $373.60 which is not a massive drop but I am playing at the $1/$2cents cash games because my confidence is shattered.

A while back I said that I was going back to sit n go games of which I have been much more successful so now I am going to do that. Lets hope that my luck changes soon otherwise my $400 by christmas target looks unlikely.
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      dude! you are thinking way too much about money! forget about it. Just make the right decitions, put some nice volume in it, continue study poker(and never stop doing it) and at one point it will all come together and your BR will grow in that time.
      "Dont worry about money, it will take care about hereself. The key is the right decitions" - The poker mindset
    • Donmecon
      Donmecon
      Bronze
      Ive relaxed much more since my last reply told me to stop worrying about money. Of course they are correct and I thankyou for wise words. I have been ticking over at cash games since my last post that was until I was hit with the worst possible bad beat. I have realised why I am such an unlucky player and this is because I nearly always get my chips in with the best hand. You can't get lucky if your winning in the hand likewise you can only get unlucky.

I held Ah Ac in the BB and one player raised pre-flop. I re-raised and they called. The flop was 3h Ad 6h so a fantastic flop for me. I raised two thirds the pot and they called. The turn was the 4c so I raised again and they re-raised me all in. At this point I thought I was probably beat but thought how could anyone raise then call a raise with 5 2. Anyway I had invested so much I called and sure as eggs is eggs they had a straight. The raise pre-flop was daring the call after my re-raise was mad and the call after I raised after the flop was insane as only a 4 could help their hand so they didn't have pot odds.

I have persisted in cash games but have now realised I am never going to make money at this game. 6 player cash games you have to be reckless and lucky and I am neither. I play solid, play percentages, play pot odds but none of it works so finally the time has come to revert to tourneys and sit n go. I shall not be beat and I will conquer my dream of making a living at it but just not at cash games.
    • Donmecon
      Donmecon
      Bronze
      Im am on $371.26
      Starting player 90 player Sit N Go and in my 2nd attempt finished 11th. Gave me some confidence back but the fool I am I reverted back to cash games and after steadily winning all night of which usually happens I lose it all plus more in one hand. Whenever I get a big hand in cash games someone has a bigger one and my 3 Kings was turned over by a straight.
      I said I wouldn't play cash games again but my brain obviously didn't listen. Still not to much harm done so tommorrow is back to Sit N Go.
    • Donmecon
      Donmecon
      Bronze
      Well I have reached my target a few days late but I'm well chuffed. $400 target by christmas was reached and now I can raise my stake. It was mainly due to the fact I got my brain into gear and concentrated more on sit n gos.
      2/18
      6/90
      2/18
      17/18
      4/18
      Good results by any standards and in the two 2nds I played badly heads up as I always do. Had most chips but poor play let it slip. Have played some cash games and also being doing well.

Can't complain about bad luck for a change as I haven't had hardly any. Confidence is growing so now I need to set my next target which is $450 by the end of January.