Most thrilling hand I ever played !!

• drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      ...and the sickest one, and the biggest pot ever in my 200K hands of microstakes poker career.

Moved from NL5 deepstacked to NL25 just 3 or so days ago, finally adapted to the player pool there.
      This madness happened in the last moments, gee I was clicks away from ending it all...in the end this became the sickest session I ever experienced. breaking even for first 3.5K hands, and wooop to 7.5BB/100 @ 4.1K ... sick sick sick, thrilling lovely, warm welcoming to NL25. After a downswing of -5 BIs last week...something refreshing finally ^_^

gosh I gotta start a blog! I always feel bizzare and like a total stranger coming out in forums randomly like this :f_frown: freakin ppl out

As for now, here's the hand :s_cool:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (3 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $25.00
      BU:
      $45.06
      SB (Hero):
      $79.29

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, T.
      BU raises to $0.75, Hero calls $0.65, BB folds.

Flop: ($1.75) J, 2, 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.00, Hero calls $1.00.

Turn: ($3.75) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.75, BU calls $1.25.

River: ($7.25) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $75.74, BU calls $41.51.

Final Pot: $124.5.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, jacks full of tens(J T).
      BU shows a full-house, jacks full of nines(J 9).

Hero wins with a full-house, jacks full of tens(J T).

Gooootta loooooveee to overbet :s_biggrin: ...I soo had to put him on Jx, with such a small bet on turn, Hero raises, oh yeah just a call...wooooo...he had to be afraid that I ain't got the hand to pay him off with. Haven't figured instantly that he might be holding FH even. However he seemed fishy + I'm kinda used to gettin' paid for my river overbets, I was pretty sure he'd even call with trips, and once again it proved right, YARRRRR :D

I'd looove to hear some thoughts on this, expert thoughts as well. What ye think of overbets like this ?! It's been always said, value bets...value bets - source of income from the fish. How about overbets eyy?
      I think that most money I made in my humble lasting career was with overbets, actually I am super positive about this. Yet every time I overbet I feel so unorthodox and as if I was breaking the law lol - I'm not such a adept player yet, but happy so far crushing the micros. I'd really appreciate to hear some opinions on "Overbets vs value betS"

+EV to you all

dRb
  • 17 replies
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      its always greatr to bet 10 times the pot and get paid off
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      If you bet 5x pot he only has to call 1/5 times he would call a potsize bet to make it greater EV than the small bet.

For fish if they're gonna call a potsize they will call a jam quite often, often enough to make the jam WAY better, this is a great spot for it.

I personally think a huge leak by regs is betting standard sizes in almost every situation, instead think of their range, calculate what portion is calling what bet and size it in a way that maximises EV, it will often be an overbet
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      ofc it's impossible for him to fold here and u would get all his money anyways. This works against fish, but vs better players u have to balance ur range and make some overbet bluffs, otherwise they won't call unless they have nuts :D This overbet was so big, so I think u can get value here only from J9 :) lucky for u
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      it doesn't matter against fish, but other regs might exploit u, if u are changing ur bet size according to ur hand, you should always represent range, not hand
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      The good old overbet :D

Well played and congratz!
    • geoelt
      geoelt
      Platinum
      haha... nice pot, nice river :)

anyway, u said u like to hear some opinions!

here are mine: first, i dont really like the flat call in the BB with JTo in the SB so deep (playing out of position could be even more expensive when u are deep)

problems: u can't make flushes which u wanna play for stacks, u might hit gut shot str8 draws (like A Q 3 flops) which are hard to play in these situations etc...
      however, if u think he is really bad and u give yourself enough edge postflop even oop, go ahead and call ;)

2nd thing: if u say u had to put him on a J, why do u check/raise the turn? he'll never ever fold a better J there, and do u think he has enough J8, J7... in his range so that u can raise here for value? if u do think so, why dont u make the raise bigger?

according to your comments uz felt beat on the turn once called, so your raise was almost a bluff - i dont like to turn such strong hands into bluffs :D

river: nice hand sir ;) a bit lucky but after the action i like the shove there. he might have some holdings which fold to the shove but call a smaller bet, but he could also have like random two clubs etc. which he wont call anyway... vs fish, nice shove there, i think i doesnt work against regs though ;)

just my 2 cents ;)
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      Thnx for all ur criticism and opinions, every1 !

Originally posted by geoelt
      2nd thing: if u say u had to put him on a J, why do u check/raise the turn? he'll never ever fold a better J there, and do u think he has enough J8, J7... in his range so that u can raise here for value? if u do think so, why dont u make the raise bigger?
      I didn't cuz I've put him on trips/FH just after his light bet/call raise on the turn. I only managed to realize on the river, I'm not such a adept hand reader yet, I still grind FR.
      Anyways having him on Jx before the river means that I really don't like my kicker T so deepstacked, plus I'm new to NL25 meaning that I don't even have enough BIs to play deep. Which I don't, that was just won b4.

Cheers & thnx loads
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well you got a really lucky river. But i don't think such a huge overbet is going to be max EV in the long run. I think a smallish overbet like 11$ or something would be better to make sure to get called with a J or some random pair that a fish might have. In this hand the money was going in on the river no matter what you did anyway. I don't think even a fish calls this shove without a boat and in case he has a boat his getting the money in anways so there's not much sense in over betting this big.

But somewhat competent player will probably also fold low boats here as well. You definetly dont get called by 22 here. In this spot if i would somehow got to the river that way im folding just about everything to this deep over shove. A bluff with such a huge overbet really doesn't make much sense since your risking 40$ to win 7$ pot so you always have the nuts here. Im probably folding even J9 or 99 here against this. But all those hands do call an overbet of like 12-15$ so i think its better to do that.

But sure if you have a read that this fish can call that huge bet on the river then sure go for it but like i sad i think he has to be really bad to call a J here, and if he has a boat his gonna get the money in anyway so imo not that well played.
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      why are you all calling the opponent a fish he played the hand well, the only hand that beat him was the hand hero had it was a cooler so how can you call him a fish ?( ?(
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pogodon
      why are you all calling the opponent a fish he played the hand well, the only hand that beat him was the hand hero had it was a cooler so how can you call him a fish ?( ?(
      Well de river call isnt the biggest point. betting 2xbb on the turn for instance ;)

T.
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      Don't have enough sample size, as I only played 22hands vs this guy. But he did act extremely fishy during these hands. I got a good eye for fish, and this guy is definitely one. No mistake, I am 100% positive he'd even call with trips !
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      so would any body fold this J9 in this situation and he didn't play it bad because hero gets a lucky 3 outer
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well the problem with his play is his turn play. His 2bb bet really isn't that terrible, in case you think you can induce something, but after that you have a mandatory raise that deep since its the only way to get stacks in by the river considering we're almost 200bb deep. So we can assume his at least somewhat fishy.
    • geoelt
      geoelt
      Platinum
      so would any body fold this J9 in this situation and he didn't play it bad because hero gets a lucky 3 outer
      he bets 4 BB on the flop and get called (over half pot)
      than he just hits nuts on the turn an bets like a seventh of the pot? than he gets the that great news that hero raises, and he flat calls? THIS IS A FISH IMO :D

only because somebody gets unlucky in a situation, that doesnt mean he's not a fish ;)

+ if i'm in heros shoes and the fish just shows me his fh and i know he'll call a river overshove, i even get the implied odds to try to hit my 3outer (very hypothetical for sure ;) )

anyway: from his perspectiv: against which hands in heros range that 2 BB turn bet is the best idea? imo against no hand! so imo he is just a :f_p:
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      Originally posted by geoelt

only because somebody gets unlucky in a situation, that doesnt mean he's not a fish ;)
      Nicely put !!

+ if i'm in heros shoes and the fish just shows me his fh and i know he'll call a river overshove, i even get the implied odds to try to hit my 3outer (very hypothetical for sure ;) )
      Now that's a cool hypothesis :s_cool:
    • nightblue21
      nightblue21
      Bronze
      wtf lol gz :D
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      Platinum here I am :s_cool: :f_cool: :s_evil: :D