CO ($50)
      Hero ($53.35)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: T:spade:

fold, fold, CO raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1.50, SB calls $1.25, fold

FLOP ($5) 5:club: 8:diamond: 5:spade:

SB bets $3.50, CO folds, Hero calls $3.50

TURN ($12) 5:club: 8:diamond: 5:spade: 9:club:

SB bets $8, [color=red]Hero raises to $16

What do you think of our line? Villain is reggish 24/17/3 wts 13, 125 hs.
      My thoughts: villain can definitely have a 5 (e.g. if he calls 45s oop) but would he lead out? Board is not drawy so he can aim for pfr to cb and even if pot is checked through its ok.

So this looks to me like a pp trying to see where it is at or a cheap attempt at a pot steal on a board that does not hit his opponents.

By calling flop and raising turn we rep 5x pretty well and I think he has to fold nearly everything, including 89s etc.

Thoughts?
  • 4 replies
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      he wont fold any hand on minraise, u should make it larger if u want this line. I dont think it is good idea to bluff on so dry boards, coz he is not folding any pair ever and dont try to represent 5, u have to represent range, not hand
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      u have to represent range, not hand

5x is a range. 5 :heart: 4 :heart: is a hand. Ofc, we also can have 88 here.

he wont fold any hand on minraise, u should make it larger if u want this line.

As to raise size, we want to bet just enough to make him fold the weak holdings he lead out with. I agree we cant rep very much either but I think villains hands aren't strong enough to find out if we are full of it.

If villain has some random broadway hand or even pp like 22-44, 66-77 he is never happy investing more on turn because with our raise we indicate we want to play for stacks. I.e. if he calls turn he's committed. So I agree he wont fold strong hands, but what strong hands are there? (ofc, he could have 5x himself, but then we dont want to make a big bet).

We can assume TT/JJ+ he squeeze preflop so I think its nearly impossible for him to have a strong hand here.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      well I think you don´t get better hands to fold if you min-raise. Since it looks so bluffy and I guess you´re not playing 40/10 stats that he thinks you´re fish to fold his overpair.
      So my suggestion is to raise turn 18$ which looks a lot like value (strange how couple of bucks change hand strength) and if get called then check back river.
      But you can also bluff a lot cheaper and fold out most hands if you raise flop 8$. Also since he c-bet into 2 people no shame of folding A high on the flop :)
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      But you can also bluff a lot cheaper and fold out most hands if you raise flop 8$. Also since he c-bet into 2 people no shame of folding A high on the flop

But that's my point. I'm trying to rep a hand that never raises flop, i.e. 88 or 5x. If you have these hands you never raise flop as you want villain to keep firing.

When he fires again on turn, you raise small to get stacks in on river and I'm not sure you need to raise bigger to achieve that. Point is that we dont need to protect here so pot odds arent really important.

Anyway, villain folded in the actual hand. Maybe its a thin play against a decent thinking villain, but against s/one with wts 13 who's not calling on turn without nutz, I think it looks pretty good. This guy is probably not even calling on turn with JJ.