Limp in vs. Raise on Micro limit?

• sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      I play .1/.2 NL, and i dont like to raise preflop with just about anything.. AQ, AJ, Kj, KQ, QJ, all of these i dont like to raise, mayyyyyybe min raise on button.
      Only small raise like x3 bb with high pairs, and if some ppl raise before me x20 bb, i have JJ i dont call.

Am i doing something wrong here, is my strategy flawed? Most of the time i know i wont hit anything with AQ lets say, but some guy with A5 will call his pair of 5 to the river even if i c-bet pot.. so thats why i dont..

soo am i doing the wrong thing, lay it on me pros and hos!
  • 8 replies
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1535/1/
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      well yeah i know thats what ur supposed to do, but these are micro limits with the weirdest plays, funny calling patterns etc...

If i was a regular at higher stakes i'd probably raise more. In theory thats supposed to work maybe on higher stakes but on the lowest min stakes i dont know if its the right or wrong strategy.
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Standard 4bb raises and 3x reraises worked for me (and probably for most people) on .1/.2 tables... Even if u don't hit, there is a big chance that your opponent also didn't hit.
      Just play ABC poker on this limit, raise strong hands preflop, use continuation bet even if u don't hit on the flop (if there are only one or two opponents in the pot) - you can still fold on the turn if u think opponent has better hand, and when u hit the flop, be aggressive, u will be surprised, how many times people will call u down with thash hands. Most importantly...don't tilt over bad beats, there will be a lot of those... ;)
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      alright man, thanks thats some useful advice, unlike some people :O , nah jk lol.
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      At the .01/.02 tables I think a straightforward tight aggressive style works best. You should probably tighten up you ranges but raise whenever you are first to enter the pot.

The idea at the micros is to value bet when you likely have the best hand to get more money in the pot. AQ for example, figures to be the best hand pre flop so you should raise with it from most positions. Hands like KQ, KJ, etc should probably only be played in late position and will rarely be best if you get three bet (and will often be dominated) so you can safely fold them to a 3 bet at .01/.02. However, lots of players will call with worse Kx type hands and you can value bet them hard when you hit.
    • SiXAT
      SiXAT
      Bronze
      nit style works but its not optimal, you can outplay opponents on these limits but not nessesary, you can start overplaying too much if you dont know how to balance/
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi sharkfin9000

The strategies on this site have been tested and retested. Some of the line might seem like "they never work" to always be reraised or be called by better hands. strange things happen over a small sample size. With Poker you need patience and nerves of steal because bad beats never stop coming and the higher the limit the harder it can be to take.

A lot of beginner think in terms of hands instead of hand range. I sometimes is lucky enough to find some fish with 70+/40+/30+ (VPIP/PFR/3bet) over small but decent sample size (300-400 hands) I will go AI with JJ against them preflop no problem because I would be ahead of their range. And If they do happen to have AA that particular time, it does not change the fact that I made the right move by going AI because in most case I will be ahead and win. However over a small sample size they might have better hands some of the times or / and badbeat the rest of the time.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      With Poker you need patience and nerves of steal

Actually you don't necessary need nerves of steal, I cannot say I have nerves of steal but I leave tables when I get tired of bad beats. So discipline is what you need.