[NL2-NL10] Fold set on the turn, full house on the river?

• fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Hi, pokerstrategy.com hand converter doesn't seem to work with Microgaming hands, so I used external help (if it's ok).

So basically what I'm wondering is whether I should've folded on the turn. I was concentrating solely on the straight possibility so I called because I thought I have great implied odds in to make the full house. So I did. And then it hit me that one of the opponents may very well have a stronger full house. So whats your opinion - should I have folded the set on the turn (discounting outs) or maybe the full house on the river? Or would that been too nitty? I called the river shove because I thought there's a good chance that I'm facing a straight and I got relatively good pot odds (5.4:1).

Both of the opponents were a bit donkish, but not the worst players out there. Their PFR calling range was around 20% I think.

Ladbrokes, $0.05/0.10 Hold'em NL Cash Games, 6 Players
      Hand Converter by Pokerhand.org

Board:
      HERO (UTG): $15.54
      Tylus (CO): $8.91
      ugly_dog (Button): $15.42
      umarhq (SB): $10.75
      bryanoryan (BB): $15.04
      kayodekadiri (UTG+1): $15.70

Dealt to HERO 9:heart: 9:spade:

Pre-flop:
      (1 folds), HERO raises to $.40, Tylus calls $.40, (2 folds), bryanoryan calls $.40

Flop: ($1.35) J:spade: K:heart: 9:diamond: (3 Players)
      bryanoryan checks, HERO bets $.80, Tylus calls $.80, bryanoryan calls $.80

Turn: ($3.75) Q:club: (3 Players)
      bryanoryan checks, HERO checks, Tylus bets $1.80, bryanoryan calls $1.80, HERO calls $1.80

River: ($9.15) Q:spade: (3 Players)
      bryanoryan bets $2.30, HERO calls $2.30, Tylus all-in $5.91, (1 folds), HERO calls $5.91

Results:
      Tylus Showed Q:heart: K:spade: HERO
      Tylus wins $22.02
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello fuzzyfish,

It's hard to fold on river since you have to be ahead like only 16% of the time to make the Call profitable. So I am also Calling there and hoping him to have a straight or something similar.

Best regards.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Hi, thanks for the reply. How about the turn? When I look back at it I see that any card that gives me the full house might give my opponent a stronger full house, since at least one of them could easily have called my PFR with broadway cards. Would you consider folding on the turn?
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      Would you consider folding on the turn?

imho no way, I think bet/call or c/c is ok even he have straight now u have outs for fh.
      About the river- for me it's clear call not because he can't have better fh,but he can have a lot of worse hands ,in that case folding is incorrect.Look at combos- his range fh+straights,KK,JJ,QQ he often 3bet pfr, call KQ,lot of Tx(maybe not all),and broadways.
      KQ have 6 combos,TT 4 combos,Tx 12 combos,and we can add some combos for 2 pairs.If u choose TT+Tx which u beat 16 combos vs 6 KQ are 72% vs 27%, at least u beat more then half of his range so fold is incorrect on the river.
      GL
      :f_confused:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      Hi, thanks for the reply. How about the turn? When I look back at it I see that any card that gives me the full house might give my opponent a stronger full house, since at least one of them could easily have called my PFR with broadway cards. Would you consider folding on the turn?
      Nah, you can't really fold on turn, sometimes you can be ahead there and you are getting perfect implied odds. Well played.