This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Maths of poker... please help

• philswindon
      philswindon
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I am currently doing a short term contract as a Maths teacher and have one particular group of dis-interested year 10's who are about as interested in Maths, or in school as a whole as we are at looking down at 72 off in our hands. It was suggested to me that I might like to find a topic/game that incorporates Maths but they wont necessarily see as being School Maths out of a text book!

This obviously led me to Poker as it incorporates plenty of Maths and is actually a game they seem vaguely interested in! Today we went through the rules and started looking at the basic %'s in the game and we are talking basic, like 13/52 (25%) of each suit, and 4/52 (7.7%) of each Number etc etc.

What I was hoping some of you might know is where/if I can find out basic maths calculations for poker that I can use with the students or if anyone has any idea's of easy ways to calculate out's, pot odd's or anything else mathematical to do with Poker.

P.S. I am not a Maths teacher and whilst I obviously understand most of the Maths behind poker I am finding it hard to explain it/put it at a level they might understand hence asking you for suggestions!

Many Thanks in advance

PP
  • 5 replies