What to call with against 5% 3-bet range?

• Donkey111
      Donkey111
      Bronze
      Against an opponent who 3-bets 5% of his hands, what hands should I call (not 4-bet) him with when he does 3-bets?

We assume that he never 3-bets light and the pot ends up 2-way. I am interested in the OOP range (me in MP, villain in CO for example) and the IP range (Me in MP, villain in the blinds for example).
  • 5 replies
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      what i would do OOP vs 5% 3bet range:

100BB stacks:
      - i'd shove AA/KK and fold the rest. Sometimes I'd flat with AK/QQ.

+200BB stacks:
      - i'd be balancing between flatting any pair or suited connectors, and balancing between flatting and 4betting AA/KK.
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      OOP, I would never call unless you are both very deep and would probably 4-bet AK+, QQ+ and fold everything else.

In position, it really depends on stack size and opponent tendancies but you can generally follow call 20 and flat with pockets to set mine if you get enough implied odds. I'm probably also more likely to just flat with AK in position to play poker post flop.

You should try to pick up any reads you can on whether he's just 3betting his top 5% of hands or a more polarised/balanced range with value 3-bets and bluffs. Also, it helps if you can figure out how he's playing against 4 bets i.e. does he go into shove or fold mode and how often does he fold to a 4-bet.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Do you think you can also setmine OOP, I open 99 CO and BU repops me with his 5% range, getting 15:1 do you think I can profitably set mine here?
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Button v CO his range is probably much wider than 5% if his 3 bet range overall is 5%.

I don't think you can profitably set mine (i.e. call with the plan of folding if you don't hit your set on the flop) because (1) his range is probably not strong enough to expect him to stack-off all that often and (2) you are OOP and so are much less likely to get value when you hit.

It's a tough spot but I would generally fold here at the micros unless I have some aggro dynamic in which case I would often 4-bet and get it in. Calling planning to fold if you don't hit is just burning money.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JonikoP
      Button v CO his range is probably much wider than 5% if his 3 bet range overall is 5%.

I don't think you can profitably set mine (i.e. call with the plan of folding if you don't hit your set on the flop) because (1) his range is probably not strong enough to expect him to stack-off all that often and (2) you are OOP and so are much less likely to get value when you hit.

It's a tough spot but I would generally fold here at the micros unless I have some aggro dynamic in which case I would often 4-bet and get it in. Calling planning to fold if you don't hit is just burning money.
      I guess I have big leak then 8-) aha, thanks.