Grinding micro SNGs can be tough

• Woohoooo
      Hi there :)
      My name is Viktor and i'm a 18 year old student who lives in Sweden. I'm now starting a blog in the english community after a few failures in the swedish community. I've failed in the previous blogs by going broke because i've never been able to stick to my own BRM and the rules i've put up for myself.
      There's not much more in life i enjoy except for poker, which probably sounds kind of sad, but it's really not :) Just means that I can get in more volume, information and studying than many other players who has a life outside of poker :P

Why am I starting a blog here?
      Well, first of all, it's to keep myself from making big mistakes BRM-wise. I've lost track of how many times I've gone broke by tilting and making bad decisions.
      Become more active in the forums. We have this awesome community which i haven't used to the fullest, and I used to think that I don't need any help, because I am so good. Well, I was wrong, BIG time ;)
      Get better at english since I've lost some of my speaking- and writing-flow since my last english-lesson in school was about a year ago.
      And ofcourse to hang out with all the awesome people here :D

Lets talk poker :)

I started playing poker a little over a year ago when i was 17. I convinced my sister to make a 30$ deposit for me. I took my whole BR and sat down at a 0,50$/1$ NL table (good start, right?)
      Then took it up to 140$ before i went broke with my flush against a full house. And a while after that I found PS and learned about BRM. I made a few deposits until march when I turned 18 '-.-
      I pretty much made deposit after deposit and then my first big win came, about 800-900$. I started playing 26$ double stack tournies at FTP and a few days later i won 2100$. 4 days later I won 1600$ more in another one.
      I made a 3000$ withdrawal and the rest in my BR disappeared when I played some 100-200$ tournaments. And now i couldn't make another big deposit, because the 3000$ i withdrew I had already spent. I had no thought about saving money "cause I can just go online and play a few tournaments and win more". Well, it wasn't that easy. I had no money, so I'd have to go play micros. Which hasn't been easy. Once you've played bigger tournaments, it's really hard to step back to playing micros. Atleast for me :/
      So I've grinded micros for a while, mostly Super Turbos, but my edge is too small and the variance is too big, so I'll stick to Turbos for now :)
      Not so long ago, I decided to make my last deposit ever. After I lost it, due to not sticking to my rules, I only had two shots left. The Iron Man bronze Freeroll and the 75k$ Madness freeroll on the 13th of November. Luckily I cashed in the Iron Man freeroll for 15$ :)
      So now, 4 days later, I've been playing 124 1,20$ Turbo SNGs with a profit of 26,70$

Re-read all the "Psychology & Didactics" articles
      Post 30 hands a week in the Hand Evaluation Forums, not necessarily the english one and also a few hands in this blog
      Update this blog atleast every day I've played
      Read 1 article a few times and watch 2 videos a week
      Play a minimum of 1000 SNGs each month

Starting at FTP

0$ -> 20$
      1,20$ SNGs, 4 tables

20$ -> 70$
      1,20$ SNGs, 8 tables

70$ -> 90$
      2,25$ SNGs, 4 tables

90$ -> 170$
      2,25$ SNGs, 8 tables

Move to Pokerstars

170$ -> ??
      3,40$ SNGs, 8 tables

My bankroll is currently 41,88$

Heres a graph since I won the 15$

Good luck fishing now, I'm off to bed :)
  • 5 replies
    • gedwashere91
      Hey mate,
      Interesting start to a blog, looks like your BRM plan is solid and should serve you well for the micros at FTP :) Be prepared for some sick variance, SnGs can be quite tough at times. That said, they are still really fun :D

Good luck!
    • Woohoooo
      Thanks for reading my blog :)

Let's just hope that variance doesn't strike me too hard ;)

Update will come later tonight when I get home from school
    • Woohoooo
      Just played a 2 hour session with a nice profit :)

Site: Full Tilt Poker
      Tournaments: 29
      Limit: 1,20$ Turbo
      Time: 2 hours
      Buy-in: 34,80$
      Winnings: 46,80$
      Profit: 12$
      ROI: 34,48%
      Raked: 5,8$
      Rakeback: 1,57$

Here's a hand from this session :)

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 1.2 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (9 handed)

MP2 (t1875)
      Hero (MP3) (t1455)
      CO (t1335)
      Button (t1455)
      SB (t1395)
      BB (t1755)
      UTG (t1500)
      UTG+1 (t1500)
      MP1 (t1230)

Hero's M: 24.25

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:spade: , K:diamond:
      4 folds, Hero bets t120, 3 folds, BB calls t80

Flop: (t260) J:club: , 3:club: , Q:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets t160, BB calls t160

Turn: (t580) K:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets t400, BB calls t400

River: (t1380) 5:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Total pot: t1380

I have a really hard time making decisions in spots like this, don't know if I should make a c-bet or not most of the time :/

And what if:

Flop: (t260) J:club: , 3:club: , Q:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets 200, Hero ???

And if:

Flop: (t260) 9:club: , 3:club: , Q:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets 80, Hero ???

And it gets harder if the blinds are bigger:

4 folds, Hero bets t240, 3 folds, BB calls t160

Flop: (t520) 9:club: , 3:club: , Q:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets 300, Hero ???

Could someone please help me with these? :)

Now I have to go to school, but will be back with an update later tonight :)

Happy fishin'

• Woohoooo

Site: Full Tilt Poker
      Tournaments: 50
      Limit: 1,20$ Turbo
      Time: 3 hours and 51 minutes
      Buy-in: 60$
      Winnings: 81,90$
      Profit: 21,90$
      ROI: 36,5%
      Raked: 10$
      Rakeback: 2,70$

And here's a graph for todays SNGs

Tomorrow I'll get a ~7$ rakeback, so I'll be playing the $2,25's then :)

Here's the first hand from one of my SNGs :)

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 1.2 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Hand Converter from

SB (t1500)
      BB (t1500)
      UTG (t1500)
      UTG+1 (t1500)
      Hero (MP1) (t1500)
      MP2 (t1500)
      MP3 (t1500)
      CO (t1500)
      Button (t1500)

Hero's M: 33.33

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:diamond: , A:heart:
      2 folds, Hero bets t90, 1 fold, MP3 raises to t150, 4 folds, Hero ???

I'm raising to 3BB with AA, and i get a min 3-bet. I really hate those min 3-bets, cause most of the time they have a really good hand. And if you're sitting with Ax you get so incredibly good odds to call even though they might be sitting with a monster.
      So when this guy 3-bets me, I think a 4-bet to like 400 looks too strong. And since it's the first hand and I haven't played any with him before. I think it's best to shove here and hope he has something like AK, JJ+. Or sitting with a weaker hand believing I'm a maniac fish.
      Or he thinks he's ahead cause he's a fish... I mean, he did min 3-bet.

I could consider calling here, but when I don't have position i prefer not to.

What do you think?

Time for bed, Goodnight :)

• Woohoooo
      Hello fellow poker players! :)

It's been a while since i updated this blog, the reason is pretty simple. After I had grinded the 1,20$ SNGs up to 68$ I tilted it back to 15,80$ playing 4,40$ rush SNGs and a few 11$ tournaments. I've been so disappointed in myself that I decided to put all my free time in grinding it back up to 70$.

So this is the graph since after I tilted away most of my bankroll

And this is my graph overall on the 1,20$s

So tomorrow I'll start with the 2,25$ turbos :D
      And I'll try not to tilt this time ;)

It's been a long day so it's time for bed, Goodnight :)