This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Strange play from a live tourney..

• Alieaz
      Alieaz
      Bronze
      I was sitting in a 5 table 8-seater MTT at my local club when the following occurred:

I was sitting in EP3 with $3925 chips (starting stack $4k) with the blinds at level 2 $50/$100 when UTG limps and and EP2 just calls. I look down at AKo and raise to $275, hoping to isolate the EP limpers, which worked as everyone folded around to them and they both call. At this stage I put them on a wide range from middle pairs like 7's to 10's, a couple of face cards or middle to high suited connectors.

The flop comes 3-4-4 rainbow. UTG checks and EP2 fires out 2/3's the pot. At first I thought this was a plain donkey bet. But I thought for a bit more and remembered I had seen this guy use the semi-bluff on the flop after calling with trash and hitting a draw. I put him on an Ace with a deuce or 5 OR perhaps even 56s. I ruled out the over-pair because surely he would let me take the initiative and come over the top?

So, I concluded I was ahead at that stage but too likely to be outdrawn to continue with just two overcard's in a multi-way - so in the end I mucked it. I was also little worried about the UTG who is a habitual check-raiser with top pair top kicker and/or overpairs - but to my surprise he just mucked as well. The EP2 shows 52o.

So my read wasn't too bad but I still felt pretty rotten for folding the best hand at that point. In any event, they ran it and he caught a 6. :P

Cheers,

Andrew
  • 2 replies