reading sets

• 5 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Getting away from top pair can be difficult.

The Baluga theorem is useful, it states

“You should strongly re-evaluate the strength of one-pair hands in the face of a raise on the turn.”

If villain check-calls flop, then check-raises the turn, often you will be up against 2 pair or better (often a set). If this happens it is ok to fold your pair.

Other times your opponent will go ahead and raise or check-raise on the flop. This is where reads come in. You have to decide how often your opponent likes to bluff-raise certain flops. Some players will pretty much only raise the flop with 2pair or better.

Generally you should give more credit to tighter player representing a set, as simply, pocket pairs form a larger percentage of their range than loose players.

Anyway, there is no easy answer, putting someone on a set is very read dependant. The Baluga theorem is often reliable though. I quoted it from a great article posted by TheRebuz discussing poker theorems.

Poker Theorems
    • SiXAT
      SiXAT
      Bronze
      thinking in ranges//
      strt frwd tight player will usually call with tp on flop raise with set, if he is more comlicated he can raise you on ragged boards or boards that you dont hit often with air with a draw or 2pair or better.. thats it you have to think what he thinks your range is what his range is and so on a lot of mind fuck..
      loose or fishy players are harder to fold to but it is still possible you have to pay attention and think always and evaluate cause fish are not complicated and dont think too deeply, they just dont realy understand why and how so you should try to understand them/
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      cool thank you
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      I didn't read all post because im drunk but here it is:

1) People at micros do not bluff c/c c/r this line is so strong, even if there is some super sick reg, folding to them is still not -EV, think about how often they have a set here to how often they bluff.

2) Do not be afraid to fold bottom set, this is rly rly hard spot and for most ppl they can't fold, this includes me, but for example multiway pot and ppl are jamming all in on dry board, someone has something, maybe they turn up with retarded TPTK but srsly, this isn't -EV, alot of ppl on here and in hand evaluation will say "oh this is micros ship ship ship", but go with ur gut, if it says fold, fold, ya for sure folding set isn't good, but in some spots folding for sure is +EV, I am not saying oh fold your bottom set to aggresion, ship ship ship, but there is some spots where YOU KNOW your opponent has it and u can fold, don't follow all the standard shit "oh u ship here no matter what" this is a matter of YOUR READS, and ur gut srsly, I think ur subconscious picks up much more than u realise, if u get a feeling to fold altho not always 100% right, the majority of the time it is right.

I am sick of ppl telling u to ship when u only see better hands. I always ship bottom set no matter what, and yes overall this is +EV, but I see in, in some situations much more +EV moves, think abt it to some opponents u will fold AA on Q high dry board, why? Because they have set, so why do u not fold bottom set here? I duno man I am drunk but for sure if u get the feeling fold.

Most common lines are def c/c c/r and c/c c/c c/r. You have to go with reads, obv vs fish I NEVER fold bottom set, but vs some rly tight reg, you can't go too far wrong.

Earlier I ship pretty much top full house vs reg knowing he had quads, I rly consider fold but I think "i can never fold here i have near nuts..." but rly when u think about it, what is he min bet min bet reraise.. ship and river? Why would he do this with same hand, I am reg he knows I don't call lighter than A high full house so why is he shipping? Yes this is hero fold but when i put $0.50 into a pot and he is trying to jam it up to 200bb pot, I mean cmon even if he is ahead I lose $0.50? which at my limit btw is 10bb. Ofc this doesn't happen often but when it does, don't be afraid to fold because the standard is "ship ship ship". I mean meh w/e maybe u dont take my advice but I can't help but write this.

GL @ the tables hope u crush. My rule is, vs reg I am v v tight @ shipping, vs fish I ship wide. Hope this helps! :f_love:
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Please don't listen to him and go around folding top boats and sets on micros lol. People on those limits can't even fold overpairs so stacking off is with any set is pretty standard. Chances of set over set are pretty low so with a set your ahead pretty much 90% of the time. You could think about folding bottom sets on boards with straits and flushes possible, especially in multiway pots but you can't fold a set in when HU.

I really can't understand your logic, if you call for set value, hit a set and then fold. It seems fairly stupid.