NL50 HU vs unknown

• supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      just one of the first few hands. fold on river?
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      ($50.75)
      Hero ($50.95)

Dealt to Hero J:heart: T:club:

Hero raises to $1.50, raises to $5, Hero calls $3.50

FLOP ($10) 4:club: 9:spade: J:club:

bets $7, Hero calls $7

TURN ($24) 4:club: 9:spade: J:club: 8:diamond:

checks, Hero bets $11.50, calls $11.50

RIVER ($47) 4:club: 9:spade: J:club: 8:diamond: K:diamond:

bets $27.25 (AI), Hero ??
  • 4 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Hey man,

Preflop early on readless I'd prefer folding or 4betting, (more leaning towards 4bet but that's just me), because by calling you gonna end up in lots of guessing games like in this hand when you (or anyone else) have no idea of villains ranges/barreling tendencies etc etc so you'll be very likely to make expensive mistakes.

On the river not too happy about it but I call, ofc not beating a thing of his value range but K looks quite a brick QT had u beat on turn already and would most likely c/shove once he checks the turn as well as other two pairs+, so only stuff that would kinda make sense to play this way is something like K9/K8 I'd guess, maybe something like KT that fears the shove on turn but calls your smallish bet. You don't need to be good here very often to break even or turn profit and by calling you get more added value like get info on villain, give yourself the image of "unbluffable" yada yada.

That's just ofc my opinion.
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      @nightfrostass: thanks for the input, i'm a HU fish. doesnt 4betting eliminate our positional advantage and JTo is a pretty playable hand IP right?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Well, as I said, that's just my opinion, but early on when you have no idea of how your opponent plays at all calling will put you in lots of tough spots where you'll be left guessing - more room for error.

Yea, 4betting does eliminate our positional advantage, but sets up more aggressive preflop dynamics, you can't just be 4betting the nuts all the time, and JTo is one of the best hands that I don't like calling early on so since it's top of my folding range it makes a good 4betting hand, also has some blockers which is cool too.

there are def players who would call w Jto readless and I can't claim that it's bad or anything, there are lots of different winning play styles HU. So if you like calling by all means do so as long as you have some thought out game plan for how to play it later on. :)
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      nightfrostass: sounds cool thanks. still trying to shape my HU game. :)