[NL20-NL50] NL20 SH AQo BTN

• gonepoker
      gonepoker
      Bronze
      Hi. CO opener 16/13 TAG no much info about him but his aggression on flop is high HEM shows 6.0, on turn just 0,6 and no info about river. This time I decided to flat call AQo and flopped GTSD since he cbets a lot and is weak on turn I thought that's realy nice spot to float. On turn I made nut straight but since he is check/folding a lot i checked back to induce some bluffs and get value from worse hands on the river. River completed backdoor flush draw about which I didn't thought at all because most of his range pocket pairs + one pair type hands and thought thats a good spot to get some extra value anyway. But unfortunately he shoves :f_eek:
      Overall I don't think checking back turn is bad but I guess I should not raise rivers like this? Thanks for opinion:)

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (5 handed)

BB ($20.91)
      UTG ($15.58)
      MP ($26.30)
      Hero (Button) ($26.49)
      SB ($21.63)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q, A
      1 fold, MP bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60, SB calls $0.50, 1 fold

Flop: ($2) J, 10, 7 (3 players)
      SB checks, MP bets $1.20, Hero calls $1.20, 1 fold

Turn: ($4.40) K (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($4.40) 3 (2 players)
      MP bets $3.30, Hero raises $8.80, MP raises $21.20 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: $22
  • 5 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      hello, to be honest I really think you need to bet the turn here. One reason for this is that you want to balance your hands.

You said it was a good spot to float villain. Well, when you float you bet the turn after villain checks, so you should do it when you have a bluff and also when you have a strong hand (otherwise if people noticed that you check behind when you have strong hands, they know that when you bet you are weak ;) )

The main reason, however, for betting on the turn is that you have a really strong hand. You would like to get all in if possible. The only way to build the pot (if villain is not betting himself) is to bet. If he has no hand (e.g. 22) he is not going to pay you on the turn or the River in all probability. But since you don't know what he has you should bet anyway in the hope of getting called (villain may have a hand like Tx which he did not want to bet himself but would call a bet with).

The last reason for betting on the turn is to "protect" your hand. Suppose villain has KJ (maybe he is slow playing). Now, if an Ace or 3rd :spade: comes on the River your opponent will be more scared and less likely to pay you off, so you need to get value while you can.

As you played, the River is pretty horrible and you probably have to fold. But the problem is that you didn't show any strength in the hand (you underrepresented) so villain might play this way with a straight himself or even a set that he slow played - i.e. he doesn't always have a flush here. So occasionally you even end up folding the best hand.

At these limits, it's not necessary to try to trap your opponents -- just go for value all the way.

GL
    • falcone1983
      falcone1983
      Bronze
      Bet turn, checking back is all kinds of awful.

As played, fistpump snapcall the shove. Pretty hard for him to have a flush here if you think about it for a second.
    • gonepoker
      gonepoker
      Bronze
      Originally posted by falcone1983
      Bet turn, checking back is all kinds of awful.

As played, fistpump snapcall the shove. Pretty hard for him to have a flush here if you think about it for a second.
      Why you think it is hard for him to have a flush? He raise 2 suited cards I call he cbets as standard with air or with OESD I call he checks I check and he has a hand ?( Don't believe that this player is so aggresive that he could do bet/shove with worse hands.
    • falcone1983
      falcone1983
      Bronze
      Which two suited cards? He has 13 PFR and raises from MP. The K and the J are on the table,

ATss & T9ss are the only hands in his range he might play this way, and then only if he's stupid and doesn't barrel this beautiful turn card against your relatively weak range.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I also prefer betting turn and I´d also call his river shove, since first
      - a lot of players would barrel turn with flushraws
      - your hand doesn´t make a lot of sense, so if he has there 33 he is shoving that for value