[NL2-NL10] NL10 : TPTK, someone bets out big.

• SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      I can't install the handconverter on this computer I'm using right now, so I'll convert it myself.

Texas Hold'em No Limit $10 (9 players)

Stacks :
      Hero : $ 11.23 (BU)
      SB : $ 2.00
      BB : $ 9.50

Dealt to Hero : A:spade: Q:spade:

(6 fold), Hero raises to $ 0.40, SB reraises to $ 0.90, BB calls $ 0.80, Hero calls $ 0.45.

Flop ($ 2.70) : 2:diamond: Q:heart: 8:club:
      SB checks, BB bets $ 1.50, Hero calls $ 1.50, SB folds

Turn ($ 5.70) : 3:spade:
      BB bets $ 4.20, Hero calls $ 4.20

River ($ 14.10) : K:diamond:
      BB bets $ 2.90 and is all-in, Hero calls $ 2.90

Hoeijmakers shows [ Ah, Kc ]a pair of Kings.
      SonicXT shows [ As, Qs ]a pair of Queens.

SonicXT says : wtf

------

I know TPTK is only a middle made hand and I actually called the flop because I hoped to get some form of pot control with that hand as I didn't want to risk my whole stack with TPTK.
      As it turns out, I felt no choice but to just call the flop for pot control and I had little fold equity on the turn if I raised there. On the river, I felt I had to call because of the huge pot size.

I looked it up in the articles about post flop NL play, but in each example given there, it's "Hero" who bets out.

How to I get out of this ?
      I don't want to lose entire stacks with TPTK against these kind of draws, but I don't want to lose them either to a guy holding a set on the flop or an overpair ... yet I obviously need to protect it.
      I'm a bit confused :D
  • 4 replies
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      I would raise on the flop. Easy allin on the turn. Pair of queens with ace kicker on rainbow raged flop with 2 opponents is strong hand I would say.
    • aanty2000
      aanty2000
      Bronze
      well you have to take in consideration that BB called after a raise and a minreraise ... so this gives us some info . he could have a pair 22 - 99 maybe two broadway cards AJ-AK or even maybe a pair jj qq if he is passive preflop . in this situation you are or way ahead against a low pp that didnt hit the set or way behind against set . he is donk beting the pot so this looks suspicious . it looks like he wants to end the pot there and when this happens most of the time we are head . i guess you could reraise him on the flop and maybe go all in with that turn . with your play you gave him the chance to bluff again and cothe turn and comit his self to the pot .
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      HI SonicXT!

I would raise the flop, too because you want to get information what you are up against. If he calls and checks the turn: check behind for pot control and bluff induce and call a riverbet.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks.
      I might add though that in most articles where they address medium made hands and how to play them OOP or IP, the examples they give for play in position include the villain who's first in checking, but never betting out.