stu ungar.

• pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      ok so i was 8 years old when stu ungar died so i dont know much about him, but i was reading about him just there and i came accross this,

During the 1992 World Series of Poker, Ungar faced off against Mansour Matloubi in a series of $50,000 buy-in no limit hold'em heads-up freezeout events. On the final hand of the game, Matloubi tried to bluff Ungar all-in for $32,000 on the river with a board of 3-3-7-K-Q. Ungar, who held 10-9, thought for a few seconds and said to Matloubi, "You have 4-5 or 5-6 so I'm gonna call you with this" and flipped over his 10-high to win the pot and bust Matloubi, who in fact held exactly what Ungar said he did.

now obviously i didnt see the hand i just read it, but dam that has to be without a doubt the best call ever, no mattr how the hand played that was the best call in history, there was only like 8 possible hands he could beat.. he has 10 HIGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unbleievable, the more i read about this man the more i wish i seen him play
  • 14 replies
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      One of a kind: the stu ungar story... is a great read...
      One of the most interesting person I've read about
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      go read the book... Just trust me on this one :P
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      i think i wil honestly id say its good
    • Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      i almost broke out in tears at the end
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Pretty famous hand played between TexasLimitKing (accused superuser, he is SB/BU in this hand) and eastsideslim/neverwin. If you really nut it out here you definitely can reason a call:

Full Tilt Limit Hold'em, $1000.00 BB (2 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Preflop:
      SB raises, BB calls

Flop: (4 SB) Q, 2, 6 (2 players)
      BB checks, SB bets, BB raises, SB calls

Turn: (4 BB) Q (2 players)
      BB bets, SB calls

River: (6 BB) 6 (2 players)
      BB bets, SB calls

Total pot: $8000 (8 BB) | Rake: $0.50

Results below:
      SB had 4, 4 (two pair, Queens and sixes).
      BB had 3, 3 (two pair, Queens and sixes).
      Outcome: SB won $7999.50

From Phil Galfond (i can't find the raw HH. it was posted somewhere on 2p2 but I cbf finding it):

I don't have the HHs on this comp, but it was HU v Benyamine. I open to 3k, he calls.

Flop A74r, he c/c 4200

Turn K, ck ck

River Q, he bet 12k, I call with 96o and win v 65o.

From NimanKenkre:

I logged a very big win yesterday. I had my best session of the year at NLHE and my best session of the year at PLO in one day. Now, I have to caution you that the following hand is nothing but a (very) thinly veiled brag: one of the best calls of my life! So be forewarned:

With about 170BB stacks, I raised preflop from UTG+1 with x-x. I was called by the player immediately to my left, and everyone else folded. The flop comes down 9-7-2 rainbow. I bet the flop and he called. The turn was a nine, completing the rainbow. I checked and he checked behind. The river was a 7. I checked. He bet close to the pot. I called - and was good. Now before I reveal my hand, let's get to the logic.

This particular player was a little exploitable, because he (making the same mistake that a majority of players make) almost always played the same situations the same way. So I had a pretty good read on his patterns. He would have three bet JJ-AA 100% of the time preflop. I think he would have three bet TT also, but if he did not, he would definitely have raised my flop bet. A nine might not have raised my flop bet, but (especially with the slightly deeper stacks and the opportunity to build a pot), he is never checking back the turn. He might have floated (for value) my flop bet with ace high - but he would certainly take the free showdown on the double paired board on the river and would not have bet himself. K/Q/J high would never call the flop (especially considering that there was no flush draw. T8 and 86 are unlikely to be in his preflop range, but even if they were there, he would have bet the turn when I showed weakness in that spot most of the time. A2 suited takes the showdown at the river. 88 is possible, but it is more likely that he would have bet the turn. A seven is possible - in my estimation, a seven was the only hand he could realistically have that does beat me. (88 also but it is discounted).

So what else does that leave him? 55, 44, 33, 32s, 42s are all in his range and would be played exactly like this (since they are all counterfeited on the river). So basically, doing the analysis, I figured that I win against all of those, and lose only to a seven (discounted mathematically) and 88 (discounted because he is more likely to bet the turn). Thus, getting 2-1, I decided to call with ....

6-6!! For six high! SHIP IT!!!!!!! (he had 44)
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      ye but playing live in a wsop in the last hand in a 50k buy in its a lot better of a call then playing online especilay online people have all these softwares determining shit thats why online poker is diff
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      isn't it 10k buyin?

anyway not sure if i'm getting trolled here (well played if i am), but there's no stats that can help you call down 6high/9high or with the SECOND NUT LOW.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      new stat in hem

• Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      new stat in hem

whoever this is , he opens from EP too often and you should abuse him :D

his WTSD : W$SD gap is so huge too , bluff/semibluff him more
    • dubadal
      dubadal
      Bronze
      the movie is kinda ok, but not nearly god enough compared to the book. He did know something most of the players at his time and prolly now have no clue about.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Chenghao
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      new stat in hem

whoever this is , he opens from EP too often and you should abuse him :D

his WTSD : W$SD gap is so huge too , bluff/semibluff him more
      And he never check raises or raises flop cbets! Fold everything if he does raise you, EVERYTHING
    • Steelbrewer
      Steelbrewer
      Bronze
      There is a movie about Stu, called "High Roller" or "Stuey" (different names same film).
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      That first hand can be reasoned out tbh, it's either nuts or air. Opponent would check stuff like 7x here. It is still great call and I don't think I will be making it anytime soon :)