Ace magnets

• harptom
      harptom
      Bronze
      Many times I'll reraise someone preflop (not a min raise, but x3 atleast) with KK. And when I get a caller or more it seems that every time an A hits on the flop. Now would you guys still play the hand strong as if you have AK or such a hand? Or would you check/call down? Depends on the situation, but lets say you bet on the flop a pot-sized bet, and the opponent calls. Do you check the turn and fold or call down?
  • 3 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      When you have 3+ callers after you raised pre-flop your actions depend on stack:pot ratio.

When you have two callers your actions mostly depend on your stack:pot ratio. In some cases I would conti bet even if my ratio tells me to check/fold, for instance when one or two tight opponents check to me. But in this case I will push all-in, to generate maximum folding equity.

When you have one caller your actions very depend on your stack:pot ratio. According to the theory you should go all-in if your stack is smaller or even pot size. So if you are concerned about the power of your conti bet, I suggest you to make your pre-flop rise 4BB+1 for limper. In this case mostly you will be enough pot commited to push on flop, especially if there are some dead money in the pot...
      actually you equity against the opponent who has any ace in his calling range is still something about 40-45%, but in generall your equity is close to 50% I guess. So it seems for me that profit maximization here comes to making proper raises pre-flop, and hoping to get enough pot odds to push. Otherwise bet2/3 / fold unless you have some reasonable read or solid statistic sample.

Playing short stack is about playing pre-flop, not postflop. So most of the time you aren`t concerned about how to play turn... actually 99% turn spots I had were from BB.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      also if you feel uncomfortable with folding hands like KK on A flop, I suggest you to take advantage of pokerstove and study different possible flops.
      For instance if you hold KdKh against more or less tight opponent (calling range 88+,ATs+,KTs+,QTs+,AJo+,KJo+,QJo) on flop Ac 2d 3h your equity is 64%

flop Ac Td Th - equity is 56.5%
      flop Ac Td 9h - equity is 50%

given the same opponent. It`s not a huge difference, but still may help to solve some game situations more effectively. Anyway, some practice with pokerstove won`t hurt))
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi harptom!

A nice explanation by xylere. It depends a lot on the situation how to play KK when an ace appears on the board. But it is almost always wrong to play check/call!!! I recommend to reread our strategy articles carefully.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81