[NL20-NL50] NL 50, call resteal with 8Ts IP, OESD on flop

• oedipa
      oedipa
      Bronze
      Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

UTG+1 ($50)
      MP1 ($67.50)
      MP2 ($50)
      CO ($17.65)
      Hero (Button) ($56.40)
      SB ($18.90)
      BB ($96.50) 13/10, 4/12 resteal, c-bet flop 40%
      UTG ($72.95)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T, 8
      5 folds, Hero bets $1.50, 1 fold, BB raises to $5, Hero calls $3.50

Flop: ($10.25) 9, J, A (2 players)
      BB bets $5.50, Hero calls $5.50

Turn: ($21.25) 5 (2 players)
      BB bets $12, Hero calls $12

River: ($45.25) A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Total pot: $45.25 | Rake: $2.25

I know I shouldnt call preflop, but as played, would you do something different? I wanted to shove river, but I didn't like the second ace and I thought that he will call me with some pair like QQ or KK
      what are your thoughts?
      It would be best to shove river perhaps, because it has to be profitable only 45% of time to be breakeven?
      if he has a value hand, he will bet river himself.
      thank you for advice :)
  • 4 replies
    • SnakeDerick
      SnakeDerick
      Bronze
      Why to bluff the river with 0% equity when you can semi-bluff flop or turn?

If you call a 3bet with T8s oesd on A-high board is the nuts for you as you're getting a ton of fold equity vs any hand without an ace (KK QQ TT 88 KQ KJ etc) he 3bet preflop.

Checking back the river is the worst thing to do ever in this hand imo. As the river pairs the ace the villain might also see you calling down light and giving up with KQ etc he felt like 3betting. If you decide to call turn with your T-high you're gotta be able to play the pot away from him a ton if you miss your outs for that turn call to be +EV!
    • oedipa
      oedipa
      Bronze
      so the best thing to do is fold on turn or raise AI on flop?
      I don't like my play and that is why I posted the hand :)
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by oedipa
      so the best thing to do is fold on turn or raise AI on flop?
      I don't like my play and that is why I posted the hand :)
      you have other options also
      - I think flop raise is fine and getting all-in, but I´d prefer calling flop and then likely shoving turn, since it looks a lot stronger and if he is barreling turn smt like KQ you gain more his money with T high, also you then have always option to catch your draw and then just call him down
      As played. I guess you have to shove river, since you don´t have any showdown value and I think he is shoving river very often with AK/AQ+
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      I recommend shoving the river as well.

By checking you never win (and he always sees your hand).

If you bet your $33.90 into $45.25 your bluff has to work ~43% of the time. As played you have a fair amount of Ax hands in your range.

Personally I'd raise on the flop here unless I knew my opponent can double barrel light on the turn (in which case we want to trap more money by allowing him to see the turn).