Should I listen to PTR report card?

• yossarian12
      yossarian12
      Bronze
      I play starting hands in line with the basic chart on this website, more or less. However ptr website seems to think that this is too loose.

PTR POKER REPORT CARD

PRE-FLOP TIGHTNESS:
      You are 46% looser than optimal. Tighten up a lot!
      PRE-FLOP AGGRESSION:
      You are 101% more aggressive than optimal. Be a lot less aggressive!
      FLOP AGGRESSION:
      You are 56% more aggressive than optimal. Be a lot less aggressive!
      TURN AGGRESSION:
      You are 28% more aggressive than optimal. Be somewhat less aggressive.
      RIVER AGGRESSION:
      You are 13% more aggressive than optimal. Be a little less aggressive.
      SHOWDOWN FREQUENCY:
      You showdown 7% more often than optimal. Good Work!

Should i be taking this with a pinch of salt?

My win rate was 12bb/100 at 2nl a couple of weeks ago, although after a big downswing im at 5.5bb/100. Its coming up again but im trying to reassess my game as I know this isnt a great win rate (im estimating 8bb would be my true rate if variance was taken into account). Im not going to just obey ptr for no reason but I will make adjustments if I can justify it to myself. Im assuming my over aggression score is partly due to being looser than the report card wants me to play, although iv recently been trying to tone it down and stop donk betting except with good reason.
  • 18 replies
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Hello!

The PTR report card just compares your stats to the average of the top 10 winners at your stake. Its really just for fun and you shouldn't take it too seriously. After all, there are many ways to play profitably.

You should however constantly try to find and patch any leaks in your game though, by session/database reviews, coaching etc.

Hope it helps.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Short answer: NO

Long answer, whatever hajler wrote
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      nx
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      NL2 and ur silver status?
      Well im new, but im playing 2 NL, and currently my win rate is 10BB/100, after playing around 1500ish hands probably. But i still only have a total of 14.5 points lol, how the heck do u have silver status?

Also how much money have u won from 2NL, for how long u been playing it, how much money ur able to make out of it? gimme a general view please.

Im just trying to win decent money fast till i can really multitable or move up higher in limits.

Currently im only in 2 dollars profit - 1500 hands, some swings back and forth, but generally i play now that i can confidently hold my level, so now the only way is to go up hopefully.
    • yossarian12
      yossarian12
      Bronze
      Thanks for answers guys. Its just when I check the stats of online pros they seem to all get 'optimal' scores on there. Although I think now that that is probably because they are the ones the average is being calculated from at their stakes.

@sharkfin - long story. I multitable and so I have played about 25k hands. When I got the $50 to start off with I didnt play anywhere near enough hands to meet the 3 month playthrough requirement so on the day before it was due to be taken back I gambled it all on higher stakes and lost it. The next day I found that I still had about 40cents in the account and that it hadnt been removed afterall. I put that into a 90man sng and won and then had $7 to play with. I have spent months building that back up. I did get upto about $60 when my win rate was still ok but then the horrible downswing took me back to $35 (my ptr hot or not score went down to 28 at one point. lost AA 3 times in an hour to kk, stuff like that, it happens i spose). i seem to be working back up again now and have almost exactly $50 again.

So basically I have played 25k hands and have zero actual profit due to the higher stakes last ditch attempt to gamble. But I have nearly completed my bonus at stars at least, have profit at the stakes i play and have leant a lot. I discovered I can play 20+ tables and still win this weekend so I am hoping to finally get out of 2nl before the year is up. This is why I want to tighten my game up too. If anyone has any leak finging resources I can use with pt3 that would be wicked.

Edit: also there were a few weeks when you got 10 bonus points on here for everyday you played. that certainly helped.

Hope that helps
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      whoa whoa wait, HOLY SH**, there is a time requirement for your 50 dollars?

After three months they just take it back??

What are the requirements to keep your 50 dollars or how many points do i need or what, because im here taking it slow, trying to go easy and learn on the way, but if i have to play bigger i'll start multitabling like crazy to meet the quota.

OMG HOLY SH***
    • SickAtHome
      SickAtHome
      Bronze
      Should have read a bit more carefully ;)
      Yes, you have 3 months to clear your $50 - depending on the site, I know its 500 VPP at PokerStars and 100 PP at PartyPoker.
      The 10 PS points that you get for playing don't count towards it.

After 3 months... if you have gotten that many points, you keep whatever you have.
      If not, they take away $50 (if you have less, you lose all your money). So if you have $75, don't go crazy and put your whole bankroll on NL50. Just keep going, you'll have $25 left after.

I played FL (which gets you points faster) and moved to 0.05/0.1 just to finish the bonus. Luckily for me, I made profit too. For my second bonus, I played $3 SNGs (out of my BR, again) and made profit.

Depends on how confident you are with your playing. I had steady results so I tried a more aggressive approach. You can also multitable (I can't, I need to study my opponents).
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      but this other guy is telling me different on the thread i started about this subject...

I'm confused.
      I play on Full Tilt.
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      Full tilt they don't take it back.

Also check out Phil Ivey's report card he gets a C+ and he's the best player in the world, I wouldn't worry about it just your win rate.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Yeah dont listen although you should be able to get way better than 5bb/100 over 25k hands, I mean 25k isnt perfect sample but its reasonable. I got about 20bb/100 @ NL2, NL5 is considerably less for me tho.
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      wow 20 bb/100?
      looks like improvements need to be made! lol.

Any idea how to induce calls? I usually know when im ahead and when im in danger of ending up behind so its just that when i do have a very strong hand i wanna get most money out of it which is double up, apparently people get scared and fold as soon as bet with a strong hand but somehow call with a weak hand bluff.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sharkfin9000
      wow 20 bb/100?
      looks like improvements need to be made! lol.

Any idea how to induce calls? I usually know when im ahead and when im in danger of ending up behind so its just that when i do have a very strong hand i wanna get most money out of it which is double up, apparently people get scared and fold as soon as bet with a strong hand but somehow call with a weak hand bluff.
      I always found slowplaying sucks, all they do is river there gutshots etc. just bet big when you have a hand, notice who is reg and who is not. Regs are bad but you can't get value from all 3 streets with marginal hands, whereas with the fish you can. I was running a little over EV :f_biggrin: but im pretty sure 20bb/100 is still sustainable @ NL2, its quite alot fishier than NL5 imo.
    • sharkfin9000
      sharkfin9000
      Bronze
      Well i play the smallest limit,and there are so many people playing it i rarely run into someone i played before, but if i have then i keep an eye on them and dont mess too much. usually if we have played before they are also usually respectful and give some tips or something and so on, if i dont act childish.

HOWEVER, what you are saying about betting big? The regs wont really call, but the fish will, so my 2/3 pot and pot sized bets are small?

Should i be overbetting the pot everytime i hit my hand? like 20 cents in pot, bet 60 cents hope he calls and is pot committed?

and maybe value bet the regulars, which should be 1/2 pot lets say?

I wanna iron out my betting pattern which yields most profit.
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      PTR havent got a clue
    • yossarian12
      yossarian12
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fusionpk
      Yeah dont listen although you should be able to get way better than 5bb/100 over 25k hands, I mean 25k isnt perfect sample but its reasonable. I got about 20bb/100 @ NL2, NL5 is considerably less for me tho.
      5bb/100 was at the bottom of my downswing. Its coming back up again now (currently at 7). Its not as high as it was when I was only playing 6 tables but I have found I seem to get more $/h by playing more tables with a lower bb/100. Im still tweaking it though, 12 table seems to be a happy medium at the moment, i will see how that goes. Once Im out of 2nl I will of course reduce the amount of tables so I can concentrate a bit more again.
    • yossarian12
      yossarian12
      Bronze
      Thats not to say I dont need to work on my game a lot, I do of course. Recently completely changed my tactics in the blinds after reading a strategy article on it and it seems to be an improvement.

Any suggestions for ptr reports etc I can use to analyse my play to plug leaks and increase win rate?
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Hello again,

I have never paid for PTR so I am not sure if any of the premium features would be useful for finding leaks, but if you use PT3 I highly recommend you read this thread.

Also I would not focus too much on winrates for now, as improving and building up a roll should be your main goals. Over a small sample like 25k hands your winrate is pretty much meaningless anyways.

Good luck.
    • yossarian12
      yossarian12
      Bronze
      Wow, that is exactly the sort of thing I have been looking for, thanks. I will go through this over the next couple of days and build it into my session reviews too.