Importance of sitting down with big stacks

• p0rkus
      How important is it to sit down at a table with as many other big stacks as possible (hasenbraten mentions this in a video but its not mentioned in the articles)? Why is it important?

P.S. I'm talking offcourse about BSS
  • 8 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      That's easy: more big stacks, more money to win. You want you're effective stacks (most you can win or lose in a hand) to be as big as possible if you have an advantage (be it skill, position, reads and so on).
    • justkyle88
      Hey p0rkus,

Please do not create multiple threads with same topic.
      It makes the forum messy and makes our job hard :( hehe

I replied here: PokerStars 250 BB Max Tables NL

• p0rkus
      But this is a different topic! I am asking about how important it is to sit with other big stack players. I will edit the first post to make it clear.
    • lennert9
      well, if you succeed in getting an other player all in while having the best hand, the larger his stack is the more money you'll win:

if you are holding AA and oponent holds KK

you have 100 BB he has 25 BB: you win 25 BB (given that you still have the best hand, on a large sample size you'll make 20 BB

whereas if you have 100 BB and your oponent has 100 BB you'll make 100BB if you still hold the best hand and 80BB in the long run
    • BogdanPS
      Also keep in mind the following:

A) The smaller the effective stacks the less implied odds you have. Thus set mining, suited connectors, etc lose from their value.

B) The smaller the effective stacks the less you can play postflop because most of the money will go in on previous streets (becomes more like a tournament).

C) The smaller the effective stacks the more short term variance due to the fact that you need to change the threshold of stacking off vs various opponents.

Overall the idea is that the more effective big blinds that you play for the more your theoretical advantage can be.
    • OZSA
      the more bigstacks the better, but keep in mind, if at a table u find 9 guys with 100bb each thats pretty much tag regs or passive regs playing there.. there's no points of having 5-6 10/9/2 guys with bigstack, coz u wont stack them, only with try to find tables where u see as much as possible players with around 60-90bb, thats a sign of no autorebuy, so they are not regs, that means they have higher chance to be fishes.
    • JonikoP
      Completely agree with OZSA - I would far rather sit down with a load of guys with 60-90BB stacks as they are far less likely to be regs and are much more likely to fish.

I think playing against fish is by far the most profitable thing you can do when you play. Given the choice between a 100BB reg and an 80BB fish I would always go for the fish.

You can adjust this assumption when you've played a few hands with a player if they seem decent but as a rule of thumb it seems to work.

The considerations mentioned above are obviously all true and if you can find weak players with big stacks that is perfect. As long as you are adjusting to the effective stacks you will be very profitable and the guys playing 50/10 with a 60BB stack are making huge mistakes pre-flop which you can exploit.
    • pzhon
      There is an unpleasant fact that short stacks have an intrinsic advantage in cash games, at least before the rake, and possibly after it, too. A 20 bb short stack is free to play 20 bb poker against other 20 bb stacks or against 100 bb stacks. He can ignore the extra money in your stack which can't hurt him. However, when you have 100 bb, you can't simultaneously play 20 bb poker against the short stacks and 100 bb poker against the other full stacks. If you play against a mixture, you are accepting a disadvantage.

The rakeback calculations on some sites favor tighter players, and those with shorter stacks. These players get credit for the rake paid by looser players who play big pots. On the other side, if there are fewer big stacks at your table, that means you get credit for less rake in pots between other players.

Does that mean you should play with a short stack instead? Not necessarily. The advantage you get may not even make up for the rake, and you pass up on the advantages of outplaying bad players with big stacks in big pots. However, you may simply find that it is not profitable to play against many 20 bb stacks when your prey is the bad players with 100 bb stacks. If there are too many decent short stacks at a table, find another.