This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] 1 hand NL 50$ flop play aginst known opponent

• xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      OnGame's Room No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (8 handed) by Hand Converter CG

MP2 ($62.35)
      Hero ($8.50)
      Button ($48.85)
      SB ($84.00)
      BB ($30.00)
      UTG ($96.45)
      UTG+1 ($56.20)
      MP1 ($55.70)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:club: , A:spade: .
      4 folds, Hero raises to $2, 1 fold, SB calls $1.75, 1 fold.

Flop: ($4.50) 2:heart: , Q:heart: , K:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3, SB bets $6, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $13.50

Stats:

VPIP 17; PFR 1%, AF - 0.35
      Called CB - 40%
      Fold CB - 40%
      Raised CB - 10%

600 hands

I am quite confused about this hand, at that moment I was playing 9 tables, so whole decision making process was around 5-7 seconds.

I autmatically conti beted and realized that I commited 2/3 of my stack now. Opponent re-raises and here I decided to fold, even having 4.3:1 pot odds and commited 2/3 of stack. I decided to fold, because he raises conti bet only in 10% and very passive post flop. So i immidietly put him on very strong draw, like middle or top pair + flash draw. Therefore, I decided not to waste my 3$ left.

Analyzing this hand afterwards I figured out that my equity against his estimated calling range (77+,AJs+,KQs,AQo+,KQo) is 20% which makes it possible to call.

Now I have two doubts:

1) wasn`t pushing flop the best option?
      Myself I don`t think so, because given the very passive opponent I am not sure that folding equity will increase dramtically if I push instead of normal size CB. While the last will give me opportunity to save leftovers of my stack if the situation become ugly.

2) should I call or fold?
      I guess here both options are close to correct given that we are getting enough pot odds to call. But since I had very strong reads (in my opinion) I came to conclusion that folding was the correct decision. Against random opponent I might call, though I am not a big fan of marginal situations. And I will definatelly call if I had an opposite reads.
  • 3 replies
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Even with that small sample size of your opponent, but with that stats, I would fold here after his re-raise, since he is very passive. You might have 7 good outs here, unless your opponent is not holding Two Pair or better.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      thanks for reply, I have now another question)

what is considered to be a solid sample size of the opponent? I mean for making precise decisions, like restealing blinds, etc

And about pushing flop? I found no reason pushing here, since he is to passive, but against more loose-agressive opp. there might be a reason to push when after conti bet you`ll get pot odds more than 4:1 in case he re-raise?
      At least at makes sense for me if you are intended to call... the problem is most of the times I have no clue whether I am intended or not) so I guess I have to start conti betting less automatically
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere

what is considered to be a solid sample size of the opponent? I mean for making precise decisions, like restealing blinds, etc
      When you had 40-50 cases where he was attacked in the Blinds and folded, or when he made the attempt to steal, you have a tendency. So I guess you need at least 1-2k to a get a tendency for these stats. So a couple of thousand hands would be better, but hard to achive. When you have reach a higher limit where you feel comfortable and have no urge to move up more, then you will get enough hands from your opponents to get quite good stats about them.