[NL2-NL10] NL10 6max Rush, AA overpair, huge stacks

• Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      The opponent seems pretty weak to me, stats: 17/9/2.5 during 101 hands. His 3bet stats is 5.1, so I would include JJ, AQ, maybe even TT in his 3betting range.
      I was very surprised when he called my 4bet. That gave me 2 ways to think. Either he:
      a) is afraid of being way behind and looking for a reason to fold his AK/QQ;
      b) has KK and suspects that I have AA, therefore he doesn't want to risk all his huge stack preflop.
      OK, let's see the flop. It's very dry. My opponent checks, so I put him on the range like {QQ+,AK}, maybe he tried to setmine with a hand like JJ or TT, but I doubt about it. Also it is even possible that he tried to setmine with a hand like 55 or 77. Personally I like to setmine using the "Call10" rule in 3bet pots, that's why I don't count that out. But 3betting with 55 or 77 OOP preflop wouldn't make much sense, would it?
      I check behind, because I want to keep the pot small. Also I would have no idea what to do against a check/raise here.
      The villain bets turn pretty strongly. I kick QQ out of his range, because if he does that with QQ when an overcard lies on the board, he would have definitely shoved his QQ preflop. I am sure now that he has either AK or KK.
      The river completes the flush draw, but I am not afraid of that at all. He might have :heart: A :heart: K, but oops - :heart: A is in my pocket.
      And here comes the huge shove. I'm completely sure he has AK or KK. First instinct says fold, Dan Harrington says fold (small hand - small pot), but pure logic says that he just couldn't play KK like that preflop. Setmine with Kings? Yeah, right.. Also Pokerstove says call. So what should Hero do?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($12.65)
      SB ($24.16)
      BB ($19.26)
      UTG ($27.28)
      MP ($4.05)
      Hero (CO) ($37.69)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, A
      2 folds, Hero bets $0.30, 1 fold, SB raises to $1, 1 fold, Hero raises to $3.10, SB calls $2.10

Flop: ($6.30) K, 5, 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($6.30) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $3, Hero calls $3

River: ($12.30) 2 (2 players)
      SB bets $18.06 (All-In), Hero ???
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Bliausmas,

But 3betting with 55 or 77 OOP preflop wouldn't make much sense, would it?

Flop: I would likely just bet out since I don't really expect from such an opponent against our stacks, being so deep a Check/Raise just from AK, however it's more often set. However it's totally fine to Check behind and hope to get Called by a weaker PP like TT+ or something similar.
      Turn: Just Calling here ain't wrong either as long you went for pot control.
      River: But not the hand doesn't make sense what he is doing, he likely saw that he missed a lot value with his set and now tries to get maximum value from any overpair or AK or that kind of hand, I am very often inclined to fold here since we haven't invested much into the pot and we have to Call such a huge overshove. As I understand you Called and he show a set of KK?

Best regards.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Hi veriz,

Thanks for the answer.
      Yep, I called and unfortunately it was KK. Maybe sometimes I just give too much credit for some opponents. I guess at NL10 I shouldn't be surprised to see even 77 or 55 here. If a guy calls 4bet OOP he might have anything here.. :)
      I actually never understood what's the point calling 3bet/4bet/Xbet preflop with KK/QQ. Looking for a reason to fold if A (A or K in a case of QQ) hits the board? Some people just don't understand that if they succesfully avoids an overcard and the opponent continues his aggression, they are simply going to be punished by a bigger overpair. Or do they think that someone is going to stackoff with AK on a J72 board when they have QQ? I just don't get it.. :) Therefore I find it much better to shove it all-in preflop (even you suspect your opponent actually have pocket rockets) and have like 1/5 chance to win, than do this on the turn and perform a *facepalm* realizing you were beat the entire hand and have a chance like 1/20 now :f_frown:
      Of course I'm talking about casual microstakes games, not these hands when we see Phil Ivey calling with KK preflop :)