Hero posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has 9:heart: J:heart:

UTG raises to $0.40, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.35, fold

Flop: ($0.90, 2 players) 9:spade: 8:heart: 7:spade:
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.60, Hero raises to $1.50, UTG calls $0.90

Turn: ($3.90, 2 players) A:club:
      Hero bets $2.40, UTG raises to $8.35 and is all-in, fold

UTG wins $8.12

This is my first ever post here, and I've just started playing SH cash, so humour me.

Is this the sort of hand I should be check raising here?

Saw the Ace on the turn and thought 'aha! I can represent an Ace here'. Didn't really work out. Found the whole hand baffling really. How would someone who knows what they're doing approach this spot?
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello jbpatzer,

And welcome! Hope we get more posts from you. :) To find out your leaks and bad plays and discuss the hands.

Preflop: Just fold the hand here, you will be OOP, and many other bad situations could happen, could put yourself into hard spot for example if you hit a TP type of hand.

As played
      Flop: What's the reason behind Check/Raise on flop, why did you pick this line, could you next time explain? But against unknown I would never Check/Raise there, more often I'd prefer to keep the pot small and hope to hit something better since we never know where we stand.
      Turn: After he Called our Check/Raise I'd definitely calm and try to Check it down and hope to see free showdown, since we really ain't ready to go broke with such hand.

Best regards..
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Preflop: Just fold the hand here, you will be OOP, and many other bad situations could happen, could put yourself into hard spot for example if you hit a TP type of hand.
      If I'm going to play it postflop the way I did, you're clearly right!

As played
      Flop: What's the reason behind Check/Raise on flop, why did you pick this line, could you next time explain? But against unknown I would never Check/Raise there, more often I'd prefer to keep the pot small and hope to hit something better since we never know where we stand.
      I check-raised because I thought the board looks like one that hits my calling range well, and he's going to cbet a lot, so I could get him to fold a better hand, and I have some equity if he calls.

Turn: After he Called our Check/Raise I'd definitely calm and try to Check it down and hope to see free showdown, since we really ain't ready to go broke with such hand.
      Quite. No idea what I was thinking. At least I had the sense to fold. I guess you could say I overplayed this one just a tiny bit. :f_biggrin:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      Originally posted by veriz
      If I'm going to play it postflop the way I did, you're clearly right!

As played
      I check-raised because I thought the board looks like one that hits my calling range well, and he's going to cbet a lot, so I could get him to fold a better hand, and I have some equity if he calls.

Quite. No idea what I was thinking. At least I had the sense to fold. I guess you could say I overplayed this one just a tiny bit. :f_biggrin:
      With Check/Raise in such spots you turn your hand into bluff since you wont be going in when he reraises us.

Conclusion is that at least you posted the hand and tired to understand what you did wrong. That's one step ahead to becomming a good player. Good luck on tables!