Can you be too positionally aware?

• yossarian12
      yossarian12
      Bronze
      Iv been looking at my pt3 stats as advised in my other thread using this guide: http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Number=4946669

Its good so far. Just noticed it says "go to the Position Stats and look down the list of VPIP from Button to UTG. You should see that VPIP steadily dropping the farther you get from the button. I'd love to see my button VPIP at double my UTG VPIP, but if my Button VPIP is at least 50% larger than my UTG VPIP, I'm happy with the situation."

My stats do exactly that, except to perhaps an extreme degree. My button V$IP is 37 and my UTG is only 7.5. Basically I would normally play JJ+ and AK when multitabling if I havent noticed anything interesting about the table. I dont even like AK tbh.

Sometimes I expand to include AJ+ and I will consider 88+ if I have a loose fish I want to call.

Conversely Im raising anything if its folded to me in the button as Im sure this is profitable in my games from memory, I havent looked at the stats yet though (doing that next).

My stats overall are 18/13 and I am extremely aggro until I get resistance from a player I believe. Is this taking position too far or is it good for my style? I feel like its a good strategy I have grown into but this quote from 2p2 makes me wonder if Im missing value.
  • 9 replies
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      the gap between your vpip and pfr would suggest you are not as aggressive and solid as you think you are, those stats lean more to the touristy type player (while not quite there)

i assume you play FR? if those stats are for SH you definitely cannot call yourself an aggressive player
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Yeah, for playing 18 VPIP you want your PFR to be at least 15. But I don't think you can be too positionally aware, although it might be an idea to bring your UTG PFR up to AJ+ and 77+.
    • yossarian12
      yossarian12
      Bronze
      Yeah im not sure why the raise % isnt higher, it might be left over from when I used to open limp with small pocket pairs when there were only passive players still to act. I have stopped doing this now, I only raise or fold.
    • yossarian12
      yossarian12
      Bronze
      And yes, full ring.
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      The gap for FR will be larger than for SH as more options will be there to get with PP/SC in LP for BB or single raise. Especially on lower limits... players dont let you play that aggressively preflop :P

Funktor
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      Yeah, for playing 18 VPIP you want your PFR to be at least 15. But I don't think you can be too positionally aware, although it might be an idea to bring your UTG PFR up to AJ+ and 77+.
      Regulary open AJ on UTG (on FR) and you will see how much money you will pay of to stronger Aces. Just stay with AK and AQs that plays well multiway.

Funktor
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      But at the lower limits the amount of fish that will pay you off by flat calling Ax is large, and if you check their stats you can usually identify which ones are calling with these Ax hands and which are going to call with AQ+, so when that flop comes down it's usually pretty obviously what they have depending on the board texture and the opponents, usually easily identifiable, range. It's fine as long as you have no problem folding TPGK to aggression :)
    • KGBMICK
      KGBMICK
      Bronze
      what is these stats u guys are talking about and where can i look at my own please?

KGBMIKE
    • yossarian12
      yossarian12
      Bronze
      Hi Mick,

They are stats about your playing style. You can see them if you use some hand tracking software like Pokertracker 3 or Holdem Manager. I think Elephant available from here might show you them too if you have a full licence, I can't remember as I haven't used it for a while.

This quote from twoplustwo might help:

"
      2) What do the numbers XX/YY/ZZ mean?

These numbers are from Pokertracker and refer to three things. XX is VPIP(voluntarily put money in pot as a percentage), YY is PFR - percent of times the players raised preflop, and ZZ refers to aggression. These stats will vary as your game progresses and depending on the games you play. The Microlimit FAQ has an in depth explanation of poker tracker numbers and what stats are considered normal for a full ring limit player. More info can be found on Pokertracker’s forums and in some of the FAQ's for your respective game. "