How to analyse my game?

• SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      All over the place here I read advices: "analyse your game", "find the leaks", "replay sessions", etc. which seems to be a good advice, BUT

How do I analyse my own game? where do I start? how do I look for leaks?

Could anyone give some basic tips, few ideas, their own experiences?

I have PT3. Yesterday I checked history of my starting hands and noticed that from 70 000+ hands in NL10 I have lost most money with AQs in the hole. That shouldn't be right, I thought. That should be a major leak, I figured. So I replayed all the losing hands with AQs... and I did not notice any trends. OK, I had one semi-bluff, which got called, two hands with pot odds slightly against me, but nothing major. Most of the time I had top pair and lost to well played sets or flushes. I would play those same hands same way second time around, so:

is my thinking right? is that the way you do it? or do you look for positions? certain calls?

I would really like an insight on this, since I can't find any articles or links which would give some advice or guidelines.

Thank you in advance!
  • 4 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well personally I check out the biggest hands from a session right after i finish playing. It usually takes only about 10-15mins to check out most of the bigger hands you played. In case you think you played a hand badly and are not sure how you should play it then post it in hand evaluation forums.

About AQs hand you really can't tell from such a tiny sample size. In those 70k hands you get AQs dealt around 200 times which really isn't a sample size. And if your happy with the way you played your hand then there's nothing to worry about it could just be variance.
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      I usually after every session look at every hand that I was in,except the hands like when you raised and everyone folded.Winning and losing hands.Then I usually think about what should have been done better and post the hands I think I made a mistake but not sure to hand evaluation forum.
      Also good stuff to look at pokertracker are definetely vpip/pfr positionally,you can see how much positionally aware you are.(For example my BU vpip is somewhere 35while my utg is about 12-14).
      Definetely look at folded BB to steal,you might not be defending your blinds enough.From different positions.
      Also I think there's some guides for reports in pokertracker forum,you might want to look at them.
      You can also add stats yourself.Things I like to look at:Cbet flop/Cbet turn/cbet success.

In general if you google Verneer you should get his guide to microstakes,he talks about stats there,only they are holdem manager,but you can manage the same in pokertracker.
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      Thank you both :) I think I had that link to Verneer somewhere already... probably did not pay enough attention first time around.

Do you also analyse opponents? I went through one of my most often opponent's hands and noticed one quite handy read - he 3-bets pre-flop only with QQ+, with rest of his range he shoves straight away. This read has won me a few pots already.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well making notes on your opponents can't hurt, the problem is that in micro's the player pool is just huge and you probably won't play with the same opponent again since the good ones move up and the rest bust. But if there are players that you play everyday with then making notes on them is sure to show profit but it gets more important on higher stakes.