[NL2-NL10] river call vs value(?) raise decision

• freespirit47
      is this a call or raise for value situation?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with 9, J.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.25, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.7) 2, T, Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.50, SB calls $0.50.

Turn: ($1.7) Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.7) K (2 players)
      SB bets $1.21, Hero raises to $3.93, SB calls $2.72.

Final Pot: $9.56.
      Results follow:

SB shows a straight, ace high(J A).
      Hero shows a straight, king high(9 J).

SB wins with a straight, ace high(J A).
  • 4 replies
    • funktor
      Hi freespirit47!

You do not have to post hand results. We are not evaluationg hand to villain specific holding and we do not need it for evaluation.

I would suggest or little bit more 3.5-4BB on NL10. Especially when blinds are loose.

Flop: With OESD I like C-bet.

Turn: How often he tends to fold to 2nd barrel? We can still c-bet/fold here.

I do not believe that you can raise str8 on river here. Only better hands will call you.
      The board is paired and QT, KQ might be easily in his range and now he is extracting value from his monster. With given board texture I suggest get only 1 bet here. I he checks I would bet here 1/2-2/3 of POT.

GL at the tables

• freespirit47
      please correct me if my thinking is wrong, but if i can assume his calling range QQ, 22, AJs+, KTs+, Q8s+, J9s, AJo+, KTo+, QJo, J9o (i rule out hands like KK+ as he would 3b pre, plus i added AKs/AKo in case he just flat those oop, also i added slowplayed 22, altho i think most of the time he'd raise the drawy flop) , then i'm pretty much ahead of that range..

Board: 2d Tc Qd Qc Ks

equity win tie pots won pots tied
      Hand 0: 64.375% 58.75% 05.63% 47 4.50 { Js9s }
      Hand 1: 35.625% 30.00% 05.63% 24 4.50 { QQ, 22, AJs+, KTs+, Q8s+, J9s, AJo+, KTo+, QJo, J9o }
    • maya1984

you might be write about his range for betting but u should be interested to know what worser hands he is bet/calling with. That's a small part of his range. he can't really b/c here less then trips Queens and he even might just bet/fold here a Q with a weak kicker. so yeah basically jamming over is too thin.

hope it helps.
    • Kaitz20
      I would raise river for value the next reason:
      he is going to b/c with worse hands and i think he is going to c/r most of his two pair or sets on the turn. he can easily b/c river with Kx or Qx and most likely hands that are beating you are: AJ and KQ (since I expect player to c/r flop with 22/TT/QT on the flop to protect his hand)