[NL2-NL10] NL2 AQs tpgk in 3bet pot

• member001
      Hi all. This is my first post here, having lurked for a while. Thanks to everyone who contributes, for such a great learning resource. I started playing poker earlier this year and no doubt am still making many foolish mistakes, so please point out anything I'm doing wrong and I will not be at all offended!

Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.85 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with A:spade: , Q:spade:
      Hero raises to $0.08, 3 folds, CO raises to $0.20, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.43) A:club: , 7:spade: , 5:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.28, CO calls $0.28.

Turn: ($0.99) 3:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($0.99) K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.2, CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.99

No particular reads on villain other than the stats above.

Preflop - was it ok to call the raise here, or should I always either reraise or fold given that I am out of position? I feel too nervous to reraise AQs and play a huge pot, but it feels like I am being weak if I fold such a hand. Or is this attitude a common beginner mistake and I should get over it and either have the confidence to raise, or fold?

Flop - my thinking was: if I check, he will certainly cbet given the strength he has shown, and then I will have to fold because I have no idea where I stand (and I can easily be dominated by AK here). So I decide to bet first in the hope that his JJ-KK, weak suited ace or air hand will fold. My plan was that if he calls, I give up on the hand and go into check/fold mode. Does this make sense or is there a better line here?

Turn - after he calls on the flop I assume I am behind to his AK or better, so I check and get ready to click the "fold" button. Then surprisingly he checks behind.

River - given his check behind on the turn, maybe I have the best hand so change of plan. However, I have shown weakness too so if I check to him he will probably bet, and again I think I would have to fold to a bet given the board. If I play check/call here he would choose the bet sizing which could be expensive, so I prefer to make a small bet myself with the plan to fold to any raise. Again, does this make any kind of sense or am I talking gibberish here?

As luck would have it he folded here, but is my line overall a sensible one against a typical villain's range for 3-betting in position preflop?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      Hello member001,

Preflop: 4betting or folding are each typically better than calling here. You want to have the lead with AQs, either as the raiser or as the 4-bettor, so that you can win the pot with continuation for the times you don't flop a pair. Also you will be OOP against the opponent and it will be hard to extract value from him if you even hit your Ace for example. I would likely just fold the hand, it ain't the best to continue here.

As played
      Flop: Point of CBetting is that he could easily fold weaker PPs here and that's not what we want just let him CBet here and play for pot control for example Check/Call. The board ain't that dangerous for that. And we don't really want his JJ-KK to fold since we could still extract more value from them with playing passively.

As played if Flop CBet
      Turn: Doesn't mean that you are always behind here since he can still try to float you or something similar, against such an aggressive opponent you can easily just Check/Call and reevaluate river.
      River: Block-bet is totally fine here but you could also consider it putting a bit bigger, ~$0.30.

Best regards.
    • veriz
      And also welcome to the forums, we hope you post more hands for us to overview them and try to find your leaks. Good luck on the tables!