[NL2-NL10] NL2 A4s low pair

• member001
      Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.85 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:heart: , 4:heart:
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, 2 folds, BB calls $0.08, MP2 calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.31) 6:diamond: , 4:club: , 2:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.31) K:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP2 bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, BB folds.

River: ($0.55) 6:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.49, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.55

Flop: I do not cbet because I feel my fold equity is low due to (i) 3-way pot, (ii) not much I can represent on this board, (iii) people on this table seem to not respect cbets and call a lot!

Turn: I call to reevaluate on river because (i) bet size is low, (ii) villain is unlikely to have K (usually call with Ax or pp, not Kx) but may be thinking that K is a good scare card to win the pot cheaply with a bluff, (iii) I have position, have a few outs to improve, and may even still have the best hand.

River: obvious fold and feel annoyed with myself that I just played so fishily especially on turn.

What is the main way I could have played better here?
      - not open raise in CU with low suited ace in the first place, until I am good enough to play it properly postflop?
      - be more aggressive on the flop instead of wasting my initiative and position?
      - fold the turn when I can already see 2 higher board cards than my low pair, instead of trying to be too clever?

Or maybe all of the above!

• 3 replies
    • fryandspicy
      Suited aces are not good to isolate with in my opinion because your opponents can often either have you dominated, or if they don't hold an ace fold any flop you hit.

I like the check on the flop because all evidence points to your opponents (or at least one of them) being calling stations that wouldn't fold here.

Come the bet on the turn I would simply fold because the king didn't help us but may help our opponents. Even if our opponent holds just a pocket pair higher than fours and the king scared him, he isn't going to fold to our check and so if you can't raise here (and by raising turn you represent only a king because otherwise you'd cbet flop) you should fold. You don't have the outs to draw, especially because an ace could give him a higher two pair.

The river isn't actually a bad card for us because it reduces his A6 combos, but still fold to the nearly pot sized bet.
    • member001
      Thanks fryandspicy for the helpful reply, that all makes sense to me.

One question and sorry as I am still a bit of a beginner, but when you say "not good to isolate with" I just want to check that I understand properly what "isolate" means! You mean being the first raiser preflop in the hope of being called by one player who has a worse hand, is this correct? So I shouldn't really be doing this with low suited aces because I a caller may well dominate me. But we can sometimes use low suited aces to 3bet someone because we have more fold equity in that situation and, if we are called, at least the suitedness gives us some outs to the nuts. Is that roughly correct?

• veriz
      Hello member001,

PokerStrategy Glossary gives always the answers to your questions:

Preflop: Raising preflop with such hand is doable but depends on your postflop skills, you could easily Check on your software how you doing with such hands as A4s and when you isolating and see if you getting profit, if not then skip them and wait till you are more experienced postflop.
      Flop: As we were preflop aggressor then I would often just CBet and don't give away my initiative as you said in your comments, but it ain't wrong to just give it up against so loose opponents but I often find it too weak since we still have a mid-pair but could easily beat those loose villains calling range.
      Turn: And yes, it would bet much better idea to fold here, since why do we Call now and didn't CBet? Doesn't make sense, either CBet the flop or just Check/Fold till the end unless you improve.
      River: We don't beat anything here, Fold.

Best regards.