BTN ($156)

Dealt to Hero Q:club: J:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $2, BB calls $1.50

FLOP ($4) Q:heart: 5:club: 3:diamond:

Hero bets $3, BB calls $3

TURN ($10) Q:heart: 5:club: 3:diamond: 2:club:

Hero bets $6, BB raises to $14.50, Hero calls $8.50

RIVER ($39) Q:heart: 5:club: 3:diamond: 2:club: 8:heart:

Hero checks, BB bets $32, Hero calls $30.50 (AI)

21/18/2, wts 28, 1.5k. Villain and I have history and Ive seen him bluff 3b turn with A high and raise 9JQ flop oop with 66 on prev ocassions.

Given reads, easy calldown?
  • 7 replies
    • N0pr3s3n7
      N0pr3s3n7
      Coach
      Coach
      Given the reads you can't do A LOT ,but given villian raise on turn I'd fold.He is raising only ~ 2x so he is having a made hand that beats you more often than not having a made hand.Not sure on what level is he so he raises so small with semibluff to make pot perfect for shoving river but I think people on this level generally raise small when they wan't to keep it in.

Also I don't like betting turn at all.Not much hands have equity that that BB defends.Most of the time you can trap him having 67/56/A5/floated Ahigh.So i like check/calling there.Since i'm pretty sure he is going to bet probably almost his entire range there we don't lose value from draws and it's perfect situation to let him bluff you this way given the history between you and him.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Ok, thanks. If you check turn to induce and call, presumably you are comitted to also check/calling any river vs this opponent?
    • N0pr3s3n7
      N0pr3s3n7
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Tim64
      Ok, thanks. If you check turn to induce and call, presumably you are comitted to also check/calling any river vs this opponent?
      depending on bet & timing tells most of the time yes.But I would like more to let him bluff instead of bet/call there.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Y, the main advantage of bet/calling turn+river is that we make more from villain"s bluffs than if we just ch/c turn and river.

Villains value range on this flop is pretty narrow. I dont expect him to play AQ or KQ this way nor to have QQ. So that leaves 46/A4s/33/55/[22] and (a lot of) air.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Y, the main advantage of bet/calling turn+river is that we make more from villain"s bluffs than if we just ch/c turn and river.

Villains value range on this flop is pretty narrow. I dont expect him to play AQ or KQ this way nor to have QQ. So that leaves 46/A4s/33/55/[22] and (a lot of) air.
      He would very likely raise flop with 46s, I think even very loose players would fold pf 46o. A4 is reasonable, but again he may also raise that hand on the flop. 33/55 are likely in his range. 22 not sure. i also think he is raising flop with 22 (as 66 example rather than float once). About his air. Don´t think he is floating you once with A8 and then turn it into bluff on the turn, so hands that he is raising would likely go very often. Most likely hand like 3cxc to force out some better hands and if get shoved they are priced in to call.
      I would mostly b/f turn, since I think players don´t make enough moves on the turn that calldown is profitable. To me raising flop= air, raising turn mostly nuts, unless I expect them to make moves (mostly they are fishes and being oop). But yeah c/c down is likely best option if you think player can make moves. Your hand isn´t strong enough to b/c turn, c/c river and you give his floats chance to bet with worse hands
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Ok, thanks.
      Villain had here KJo for total air (3 overcard outs for tp).

I bet/called turn because of specific reads on this player that he is capable of raising air on flop and turn in other hands.

Turn raise looks very strong and also has advantage of your opponent putting in more dead $ than just on the flop, (if he folds).

So, given this, is this player:
      1) unusually sophisticated; or
      2) unusually bad (for a reg)?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks.
      Villain had here KJo for total air (3 overcard outs for tp).

I bet/called turn because of specific reads on this player that he is capable of raising air on flop and turn in other hands.

Turn raise looks very strong and also has advantage of your opponent putting in more dead $ than just on the flop, (if he folds).

So, given this, is this player:
      1) unusually sophisticated; or
      2) unusually bad (for a reg)?
      bluffing is never bad if villain can fold, but if you´re doing that too much and get caught then others really don´t give you any respect, so without any draws and just hoping he is b/f turn, since you´re not barreling there with too many hands, is likely not the best option.
      So I think he is kind of both. He knows that players can´t stand too much heat against turn raises, so he has very good fold equity but since seems that he is doing that always, then it is again a littl too much and he would get called down very light, so he just burns money.