[NL2-NL10] AKo on button

• Alficor1
      Known players:

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.86 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:diamond: , K:heart:
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0,40, CO folds, Hero calls $0,40, SB folds, BB calls $0,30.

Flop: ($1,25) K:diamond: , 8:spade: , 7:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP3 bets $0,7, Hero calls $0,70, BB calls $0,70.

Turn: ($3,35) 3:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero bets $1,95, BB folds, MP3 calls $1,95.

River: ($7,25) 3:spade: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $4,05, Hero calls $4,05.

Final Pot: $15,35

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows a full-house, eights full of threes (8h 8d)
      Hero shows (Ad Kh)

MP3 wins with a full-house, eights full of threes (8h 8d)

I think i made a bad call here.. when i see it now, i dont think he'd be betting worse for value, so i can pretty much only split the pot with another AK (or win if he's bluffing ofc).. As played, i think its quite obv he had a set. I was pretty sure he didnt have a flush since he'd probably lead turn or check raise me.. what do you think?
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello Alficor1,

Preflop: I would often even consider just 3betting against such a passive opponent, he will often just fold the hand and we get the money without any problems, but with just call we have to overplay him postflop to make such a Call profitable, even if we don't hit.

As played
      Postflop: Going for pot control line is reasonable since it's multiway pot and we don't want to get raised or something similar, what would put us into hard decision. River Call is very close, we have to ask ourself if he is capable of betting out here with weaker Kx type of hand or more often just Check/Call, from such a opponent I often expect to see Check/Call line since his AF is pretty small.

The question is with what does he Bet flop, Check/Call turn since flush came and then bet big when FH arrived? Such a line could easily indicate to a FH since he got scared of flush on turn with his only set type of hand but still wants to continue and then on river it arrives and he bets for value, I think I am more often inclined to fold there, against such a passive opponent.

Best regards.