Why I am gratefull for my downswings and bad beats

• Polarbeard
      Polarbeard
      Bronze
      Hello all,

I got my 50$ starting bonus and I am now playing on william hill poker rooms.

I would have chose FTP or Stars but I have accounts there and have been playing freerolls and such for a few months.

Anyway, I learned the hard way what it is to play with regs that are nit and rocks. First night, I got hit by this:

iPoker - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

SB: $4.46
      BB: $3.12
      Hero (UTG): $5.86
      UTG+1: $6.87
      MP: $18.40
      MP+1: $3.00
      LP: $8.31
      CO: $11.37
      BTN: $9.85

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has J:diamond: A:diamond:

Hero raises to $0.40, UTG+1 calls $0.40, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.95, 2 players) J:spade: T:club: 2:club:
      Hero bets $0.95, UTG+1 raises to $2.20, Hero raises to $3.45, UTG+1 raises to $6.47, Hero calls $2.01

Turn: ($11.87, 2 players) 3:spade:

River: ($11.87, 2 players) K:club:

UTG+1 shows A:heart: A:spade: (One Pair, Aces)
      UTG+1 wins $11.08

... Learning experience: TPTK is not that strong when your opponent is a nit with a vpip of 4

Then I got hit by this:

iPoker - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 10 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

UTG+1: $10.15
      MP: $5.41
      MP+1: $10.00
      MP+2: $16.02
      LP: $5.16
      Hero (CO): $6.07
      BTN: $2.35
      SB: $10.19
      BB: $10.00
      UTG: $10.43

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has K:heart: K:diamond:

UTG raises to $0.20, fold, fold, fold, MP+2 calls $0.20, fold, Hero raises to $0.95, fold, fold, fold, fold, MP+2 calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.25, 2 players) 5:spade: 7:diamond: 2:heart:
      MP+2 checks, Hero bets $2.25, MP+2 raises to $4.50, Hero calls $2.25

Turn: ($11.25, 2 players) T:diamond:
      MP+2 bets $0.60, Hero raises to $0.62, MP+2 calls $0.02

River: ($12.49, 2 players) 6:heart:

MP+2 shows 6:club: 6:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Sixes)
      MP+2 wins $11.66

... Learning experience: this hand was played correctly, I just got a bad beat, but thoses happen. It is important to play your A game all the time to prepare for moment like thoses.

Anyway, just to say that theses are experiences that I cherish as it makes me work twice as hard to become better. I went as low as $26 with my starting capital and I am now at $42.

Good luck all
  • 5 replies
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      interesting to see a new player deal well with negative variance.

unfortunately if you guys noticed, he has some BRM issues. can someone good with BRM guide him?
    • Polarbeard
      Polarbeard
      Bronze
      Hi there and I would like to first say that I am very gratefull for what pokerstrategy offers me. I greatly appreciate the starting capital and all the strategy sections; especially thoses videos animated by thoses hot voices from UK women (I live in North America and find british accent to be very sexy) :D

For BRM, I play nl4 now. At the beginning I played nl10 as suggested in your SSS section, but where I play, I can only buy in for minimum 3$ (instead of the $2 suggested).

On a less positive side, I would like to add that the place I ended up playing is filled with SSS players and regs that are rocks (nits being too soft of a term for them). And beleive me, the rock-regs know about the SSS strategy and they will never follow your raise if they don't have AA. As mentionned in the SSS section, this strategy only works if there are few SSS players on the table you select.

Not sure if I am allowed to say this, as I know this poker room is your business partner, but it's also filled with bots; the choice of rooms, events, SNG is very limited; and the software is not really appealling. I suggest the players wich have the choice to chose Full Tilt or Poker Stars if it's possible.

Now, as explained in the the SSS, I am supposed to buy at 2$ and leave at 2.5$. How do I proceed when the min buyin is 3$?

Anyway, thanks for all!
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      I wouldn't bother learning SSS for one. Most rooms have made it hard or nearly impossible to play that. Or if you do you'll only be playing with other short stacks. It's better to just play BSS from the start cause that's real poker..

And don't bet potsize bets with an overpair like KK on an extremely safe board of 572 rainbow.. You have to remember why you bet. And what hands do you actualy expect to call such a large bet on that flop? there really aren't many that would call that a decent player would call with preflop. In general 2/3 potsize is a good amount to bet..
    • gdi991
      gdi991
      Bronze
      Learn to play BSS and play at nl 2.Games are very fishy at nl2 while at nl4 its pretty hard to get good tables.Don't know why.Anyway nl 2 and nl10 are pretty fishy at ipoker from my experience.Another good way to boost your bankroll is to play HU sngs .Those have pretty bad players too.
    • Polarbeard
      Polarbeard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz

And don't bet potsize bets with an overpair like KK on an extremely safe board of 572 rainbow.. [...] In general 2/3 potsize is a good amount to bet..
      Yes, I will do. In that particular case, all the moneys where on the table and the fish rivered a miracle 6 *starts screaming and nerd raging ala Helmutt*
      :D