English letter

• blade2206
      blade2206
      Bronze
      Hi. Could you help me with my homework. I have to write letter to my friend lives in Holland. Did I done any mistakes. Plz help fast. Sry for bad english.

Hi Kate
      How's it going in Holland. How's your famili windmill business.
      I'm writing this letter to inform you that I must cancel our ski trip next weekend. Unfortunately I have really important exam and I must prepre for it.
      I'm really sorry about that and I know that this trip means a lot to you. Maybe we could go 19th December if you don't mind. If you're not satisfied with that solution I could change reservation in hotel or you could take someone else for my place, too.
      Anyway, I wish you great weekend. Please write back as soon as possible.
      Love xyz.
  • 13 replies
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Corrected:

Hi Kate
      How's it going in Holland? How's your family windmill business?
      I'm writing this letter to inform you that I must cancel our ski trip next weekend. Unfortunately I have a really important exam and I must prepre for it.
      I'm really sorry about that and I know that this trip means a lot to you. Maybe we could go on the 19th of December if you don't mind. If you're not satisfied with that solution I could change the reservation in our hotel or you could take someone else in my place.
      Anyway, have a great weekend. Please write back as soon as possible.
      Love xyz.
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fryandspicy
      Corrected:

prepre .
      Should be - prepare
    • MichaelM
      MichaelM
      Bronze
      Really sweet of you guys to help out here.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MichaelM
      Really sweet of you guys to help him cheat.
      FYP! :f_biggrin:
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fryandspicy
      Corrected:

Hi Kate,

How's it going in Holland? How's your family windmill business?

I'm sorry because I must cancel our ski trip next weekend. Unfortunately I have a really important exam and I must prepare for it.
      I'm really sorry about that and I know that this trip means a lot to you. Could we go on the 19th of December if you don't mind? If you're not satisfied with that solution I could change the reservation at our hotel or you could take someone else in my place.
      Anyway, have a great weekend. Please write back as soon as possible.
      Love xyz.
      Never use "I'm writing this letter" it's bad English. We know you wrote a letter because we received the letter! :f_biggrin:

Fixed your post. :s_cool:
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      But couldn't you say: 'I'm writing to tell/inform you...'? Or is that also bad English? I'm asking because my high school teacher never complained about stuff like that and it's good to know when I actually write a letter :f_biggrin:
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Ribbo can be quite the grammar nazi, but I think it's safe to write that ;)
    • chilliyen
      chilliyen
      Gold
      Windmill business, that's quite funny & stereotypical.

Do they still build windmills in the Netherlands? Perhaps it's historical restoration.

I used to live and work in Arnhem. I only saw one Windmill, they turned it into a sex shop!!!

"There's only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch!" - Nigel Powers
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hadi
      It's not grammar, it's semantics! Basically the phrase is redundant, therefore without purpose.

It's like me posting this reply by first saying "okay, i am going to reply to this post right now". :f_biggrin:
    • badpinguin
      badpinguin
      Bronze
      You're over 18 and have to write stuff like that?
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ribbo
      Originally posted by Hadi
      It's not grammar, it's semantics! Basically the phrase is redundant, therefore without purpose.

It's like me posting this reply by first saying "okay, i am going to reply to this post right now". :f_biggrin:
      Okay, I'm going to start off by calling shenanigans...

nevermind.
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ribbo
      Never use "I'm writing this letter" it's not to my taste. We know you wrote a letter because we received the letter! :f_biggrin:
      FYP

I do agree though that it sounds geeky, I'm writing to "tell you"/"let you know"/"inform you" sounds better.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Examples of why this is wrong!

or

Avoid stage directions. Do not commence a letter by telling the recipient what you plan to do in the letter or begin an essay by telling the reader what the paper will discuss.

* "I am writing to you to ask you to. . . ."
      * "This paper is going to talk about how. . . ."