Is this normal for SSS?

• groobie
      groobie
      Bronze
      Hi,

I read the poker strategy articles on the short stack strategy and decided to try it out on poker stars. I deposited $58 about 36 hrs ago and started playing at NL10 (5c/10c). After 539 hands I'm down -$15.63! Is this normal? Besides the odd mistake here and there I've largely followed the rules to the letter. I'm scared to continue coz I don't want to lose my BR. Also I've also noticed other SSers and I label & avoid them. But these guys seem to have no problem sitting at a table with 3/4 other short stackers.

So should I continue or is this SSS thing overrated?

[img][img]http://b.imagehost.org/0186/Amount_Won_in_USD_over_Hands_Played.png[/img][/img]
  • 3 replies
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      it can happen. 600 hands is in no way a representative sample. What limit are you playing. and make sure you keep to strict BRM. If you apply SSS to the letter. you will be winning eventually even if marginally. SSS has high variance as most of your game is preflop.
    • groobie
      groobie
      Bronze
      I play NLHE 5c/10c. Thanks for the response
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      I would suggest moving down to NL2/4 or 2/5. If you are scared of losing then moving down until you start to see some positive results on your graph might help.

SSS is high variance as has been said and 600 hands is nothing. You need to be looking at 10K+ hands before you even stsrt to see any significant pattern and even then 10K is still a small smaple.

The most important thing is not winning or losing but making the right decisions. If you keep making the correct decisions then the profits will eventually follow.