[NL2-NL10] FR NL25 - I'm gonna bluff him... ok, I'm not bluffing anymore!

• Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      My doubt here is about the size of the raise on the river. Was it too much? or maybe too little? :D

I say what I thought on each street so comments on any other streets are, of course, welcome.

No Limit Hold'em
      Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
      Stacks
      Hero: $28.76
      UTG+1: $30.95

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with J :club: Q :club:
      1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.70, 3 folds, Hero calls, everyone else folds.

Ok, not a great hand, but I'm in LP so I decide to call and see a flop. Of course I'm not playing for top pair here, so I won't lose a lot in case I'm going to the flop dominated.

Flop: 6 :heart: 8 :club: A :diamond:( $1.75, 2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $0.70, Hero calls.

I know my call is really against the odds here. But I had position and I sensed weakness from him and decided to just call and bluff him out later.

Turn: 4 :club:( $3.15, 2 players)
      UTG+1 bets 1.20, Hero calls.

Ok, I was gonna bluff him, but now I have a draw. So why raise him here? I could be wrong about his weakness and he's slowplaying a monster. If I raise and face a huge reraise, I'd have to laydown a perfectly nice (and not obvious) draw. So I decided to just call.

River: 5 :club:( $5.55, 2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $6, MP2 folds

Ok, I hit my flush. If he has an Ace or I was right about his weakness, I think he's gonna fold to any bet. So I was hoping he had a 7 for a straight, or maybe he slowplayed a set. So I overbet the pot a little. If he had the 7, he'd probably not put me on a flush. And If he had a set I was hoping he'd see my bet as a steal and make the call even with the possible straight there. Hmm... too much?
  • 5 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Faye6891!

Definitely fold on the flop. As played: good call on the turn and good bet on the river because of the facts you already mentioned.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puschkin81
      Hi Faye6891!

Definitely fold on the flop. As played: good call on the turn and good bet on the river because of the facts you already mentioned.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
      I'd usually fold on the flop, but villain bet so little that it was screaming "Weak Hand!!" to me, so I decided to call and try a bluff on the turn or river, or not try a bluff at all depending on how the hand would develop.

Was it such a bad spot to make a bluff here that the play would be -EV?

Obviously, I was not calling for the flush or the straight, I just got lucky.
    • aanty2000
      aanty2000
      Bronze
      you either win a small amount or lose a lot with a big bluf . if you wanna raise him you would have to raise to turn where you cand raise smaller then the river imo .
      but folp pre and dont get in this hard situations at this limit where people can call your bluff easily with 3rd pair
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      You call the flop because you read him as weak and call the turn because he might be strong. How did the turn affect your perception of villain's hand?

If villain is weak on the flop then raise there if you think that he can fold. Villain is very likely to be weak on the turn given that he was weak on the flop so raise the turn with your probable :club: outs if called.

What was your plan if you missed the river?
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      First of all, thx for your opinions.

Originally posted by aanty2000
      you either win a small amount or lose a lot with a big bluf . if you wanna raise him you would have to raise to turn where you cand raise smaller then the river imo .
      but folp pre and dont get in this hard situations at this limit where people can call your bluff easily with 3rd pair
      I would probably raise on the turn, depending on how the hand would develop. I don't like to make big bluffs unless I'm pretty sure my opponent is going to fold (this is something I do very very VERY rarely, probably my last big bluff happened more than four months ago, and I did win it, but I had a very good read on my opponent), bluffing on the turn I don't risk a lot, but it's not such a small raise that my opponent will call with a weak hand. I think my opponent here would fold even a weak Ace (This player, not any player). So, yes, I agree with you, it's better to raise on the turn.

But I think he would call a raise on the flop, so I would have to risk even more on the turn by making a bluff there. That's why I just called on the flop (to keep the pot small), and (probably) bluff on the turn, not risking too much. Of course, If I get called I'm check/folding the river even If I paired.

I also don't think it's a bad call preflop. It's not a great hand, but I have position. And it's an easy fold on this flop (most of the time), but this time I decided to stick around, not because of my hand, as I said I wasn't going for the draws.

Originally posted by Nunki
      You call the flop because you read him as weak and call the turn because he might be strong. How did the turn affect your perception of villain's hand?

If villain is weak on the flop then raise there if you think that he can fold. Villain is very likely to be weak on the turn given that he was weak on the flop so raise the turn with your probable outs if called.

What was your plan if you missed the river?
      The turn did not affect the villain's hand, unless he was holding 44 or 57, wich I think both hands are very unlikely. But I wasn't quite sure where I was standing, he could be holding AA-88, a weak Ace, or two face cards.

I explained above why I didn't raise the flop. And I also explained on the first post why I didn't raise the turn. But here I go again. If I showed strength here by raising, and he was holding AA, 88, A8, maybe even A6 (or the unlikely 57). I would probably get reraised, and I wouldn't want to face a raise there with my draw. I wanna see the river as cheap as possible.

If I missed I'd check/fold the river. Because If he bets, maybe I could take it down with a bet, but then it would be a big bluff, and as I said, I don't do it unless I'm pretty sure it will work (and I wasn't in this case). And If he checks, I'm checking along and giving up the hand. He won't get to the river here with absolutely nothing, and since there are no betting rounds, he will be inclined to call even with a weak Ace, unless I made a really big bet, but then I would be risking too much money, and he could be holding a set, two pair or something else depending on what card would hit the river.

I had on plan on the flop, but it is a flexible one, and that :club: on the turn made me change it.

I hope I didn't get lost with this post, it's a big one. And once again, thx for your opinions.