Stop-Loss Limits in SnG's

    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.02.2009 Posts: 1,048
      Hello Everyone,

      In Poker Strategy article section there is this great article about Stop-Loss Limits, but, unfortunately, it is more for cash games, and not SnG's, so ...

      I have always wondered, what is Your stop-loss limit when playing SnG's?
      I mean, how do You decide when is the right time to stop session? How many SnG's do You afford to lose, or win, to call it a day? Especially when playing 6-handed, or HU?

      What would be the most reasonable number for You of lost SnG's and also won SnG's to finish the session/day?

      Thanks for the answers!

      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
  • 17 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.10.2008 Posts: 5,255
      Idk about stop loss in sit and go's, but 3 threads in a row about the same subject sounds like it's about time you'd stop posting

      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.07.2009 Posts: 2,387
      If losing one SnG makes you go on tilt, your stop loss limit should be one SnG.
      If you can lose 50 SnGs and still be playing your A-game, you don't need a stop loss limit. Just keep grinding it out. Basically, play until you think you aren't going to be playing your A-game any more. Each new tourney / new set of tourneys is a new start, with new opponents and new situations.

      Obviously bankroll management is a factor (50 buy-ins ABSOLUTE MINIMUM for SnGs), but specific "stop loss" limits for a session don't really apply to SnGs imo. You just keep firing up new sets until you feel you won't be playing your best anymore (or you get bored and wanna go play videogames :P )
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.02.2009 Posts: 1,048
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Idk about stop loss in sit and go's, but 3 threads in a row about the same subject sounds like it's about time you'd stop posting

      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
      Tikras Lietuvis. Thanks for the answer.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.10.2008 Posts: 5,255
      True, true :f_biggrin:
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.02.2009 Posts: 1,048
      Originally posted by gedwashere91
      If losing one SnG makes you go on tilt, your stop loss limit should be one SnG.
      If you can lose 50 SnGs and still be playing your A-game, you don't need a stop loss limit. Just keep grinding it out. Basically, play until you think you aren't going to be playing your A-game any more. Each new tourney / new set of tourneys is a new start, with new opponents and new situations.

      Obviously bankroll management is a factor (50 buy-ins ABSOLUTE MINIMUM for SnGs), but specific "stop loss" limits for a session don't really apply to SnGs imo. You just keep firing up new sets until you feel you won't be playing your best anymore (or you get bored and wanna go play videogames :P )
      Yeah, that's kind of "general truth", that you play till you can manage not to lose your A-game, but still - don't you have any "goal" for a day/session? That you lose (or win) certain amount approximately of SnG's and say to yourself, that "yeah, maybe it's enough"? ;)



      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
    • Demonic226
      Demonic226
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.10.2010 Posts: 1,461
      You should never have a monetary goal to aim for imo. (both daily and montly)

      This is a wrong mindset in general as you should focus on the fact if your decision making is still correct (A-game) and not on how much you are up or down. Being up or down after one day is short term while the right decision making counts for the long term. (

      So to answer your question, prior to starting up another SNG/set ask yourself if your decision making is being influenced by your current results. (Like others already stated)
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.06.2008 Posts: 4,998
      every player should have a stop loss imo... For experienced players most of the "tilt" is subliminal (subconscious is maybe a better word)... So you don't really understand yourself when your not playing your a game...

      I do believe I have a big resistance for going tilt... but I still won't play anymore at a given day if I loose 20 buy in... thats just my stop limit...

      I guess if your less experienced player and tend to go on tilt easily you should have your stop loss at 5bi or whatever :)
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Joined: 29.01.2009 Posts: 1,507
      OP: why did you crosspost this in two forums? really wasnt necessary.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Joined: 21.01.2010 Posts: 1,193
      Originally posted by wasy8
      OP: why did you crosspost this in two forums? really wasnt necessary.
      Its 3 forums actually :) His probably still on tilt and should stop posting :D
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Joined: 30.06.2009 Posts: 16,300
      just use a good BRM (50BIs for micros 100BIs for mid stakes) and you dont need a stoploss.

      i think the most ive ever lost in a day is ~20BIs.
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.02.2009 Posts: 1,048
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn
      every player should have a stop loss imo... For experienced players most of the "tilt" is subliminal (subconscious is maybe a better word)... So you don't really understand yourself when your not playing your a game...

      I do believe I have a big resistance for going tilt... but I still won't play anymore at a given day if I loose 20 buy in... thats just my stop limit...

      I guess if your less experienced player and tend to go on tilt easily you should have your stop loss at 5bi or whatever :)
      Exactly! :) I agree with you 100%, just not sure about the 20bi stop limit, I think it's a bit too much, when you have brm for 50-70bi ;)



      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.02.2009 Posts: 1,048
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      Originally posted by wasy8
      OP: why did you crosspost this in two forums? really wasnt necessary.
      Its 3 forums actually :) His probably still on tilt and should stop posting :D

      Because this topic's subject perfectly fits in all posted forums - I didnt pick any random forums and it was hard just to pick one in order for more people to see it. Why is this bothering you so much anyway, dont you have anything else to do besides picking on these kind of things? ;) What a big deal, "same topic in a few forums" - oh my god oh my god, double rainbow.


      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.02.2009 Posts: 1,048
      Originally posted by lessthanthreee
      just use a good BRM (50BIs for micros 100BIs for mid stakes) and you dont need a stoploss.

      i think the most ive ever lost in a day is ~20BIs.

      Is it just for full ring SnG's, or you play various? How about short-handed or HU? :)


      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Joined: 11.04.2009 Posts: 872
      Stop loss limit = when feeling angry/ when i start cursing a few times with a loud voice ( cursing in my head is completely fine).

      I've lost and won like 20BI in a day when i played a lot (100sng/day) so i guess 20BI should be the magic number for me.

      I think you really need a stop loss limit, especially if you play a lot. I've lost like 75BI in a single day playing MTT's and believe me it's not nice.

      How about short-handed or HU?


      SH turbo are significantly more swingy than FR. Breakeven stretches are longer (like 2k+games long), downswings bigger (aproaching 100BI possible), and sample sizes need to be bigger (had 9% roi over 1k games and 4% roi after 2.8kgames).

      They are my main game at the moment, and i love them because of the retarded fish in them, but i wouldn't play them without 100BI.
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Joined: 30.06.2010 Posts: 16,311
      Originally posted by wlcKeD
      Hello Everyone,

      In Poker Strategy article section there is this great article about Stop-Loss Limits, but, unfortunately, it is more for cash games, and not SnG's, so ...

      I have always wondered, what is Your stop-loss limit when playing SnG's?
      I mean, how do You decide when is the right time to stop session? How many SnG's do You afford to lose, or win, to call it a day? Especially when playing 6-handed, or HU?

      What would be the most reasonable number for You of lost SnG's and also won SnG's to finish the session/day?

      Thanks for the answers!

      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
      Sure, this article is mainly about the stop-loss but we give you also some recommendations about the limit in SNGs. For FR we recommend you to stop when you loose a minimum of 8 buy-ins.

      If you multitable a lot or play HU / short handed than the limit should be higher.

      Thank you guys for all the helpful answers. :)
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.02.2009 Posts: 1,048
      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:



      Yeah, thank You ALL for answers! Really helped me to form some stronger opinion about this :)


      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.08.2010 Posts: 669
      As for the actual poker side of things, if you get sucked out on (for example, back door flush draw) remember that those magical 97% you would win that hand and those measly 3% that the player sucks out on you and losing for him in the long run. Not you. You're looking at the BIG picture here. So, basically don't get annoyed with things you can't change.

      As for S'n'Gs themselves, I'd recommend a 100bi bankroll - that's what I'm using myself

      `-`