This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 Top pair poor kicker

• mytton
      mytton
      Bronze
      $0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      SB = ($0.92)
      BB = ($1.36)
      MP1 = ($3.41)
      MP2 = ($2.87)
      MP3 = ($2.97)
      CO = ($0.74)
      BU (Hero) = ($3.26)

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, 9.
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.02, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.07) A, 2, K (3 players)
      BB checks, MP2 bets $0.04, Hero calls $0.04, BB folds.

Turn: ($0.15) 7 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08.

River: ($0.31) Q (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.28, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.31.

My tentative read on the Villain was that he was playing a lot of hands (around 40% of a small sample size), rarely raising preflop. At the time I was cursing myself for chasing too far with a weak pair, but now I am not so sure.
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello mytton,

And welcome to the Forum! With what do you convert your hands? It missed suits, so it's a bit harder to evaluate but I will try to give my best.

Preflop: Since I don't really see the suits here, I can't say it's it's fine or not, if it was A9s hand then it's reasonable to limp in but also you could isolate since having position over him.
      Postflop: I like your line and would often also fold on river since he is betting likely there for value and has a better hand. Well played.

Hope we will see suits on next posts. Good luck on the tables!

Best regards.
    • mytton
      mytton
      Bronze
      Thanks for the welcome. I used the PokerStrategy converter but something clearly didnt quite work... I will make sure to capture all the info next time.

And yes my hand was suited, so the advice fits perfectly. Thanks again.