PP's in blinds

• 7 replies
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      doubt this question could be more vague. range of pocket pairs? since clearly you're not talking about 22-AA.

also reads on players help to determine what the best action is too...
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Sorry, mean pretty much vs regs 22-99 in the blinds. Just wondering about ideas, for example if reg opens from BU I usually 3b because their range is wide and we are folding alot of flops thanks to being OOP. Is this correct? How should I react to UTG raises etc.?
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      as long as you are deep enough (and im assuming you are when referring to regs), flatting and setmining is totally fine and profitable.

usually 3-betting late pos. opens is going to put you in a lot of annoying spots if they catch on and start 4betting or flatting lighter, which they will if they are at all competent.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I'm assuming here effective stacks are 100bb+

If they O/R from CO or BU I usually 3bet 77+, and flat 22-77. If they are opening from MP or earlier I usually flat it for set value.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Sounds good thanks!
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      I tend to think this is a bit more dynamic than the advice above, which I agree with entirely v an EP raise in a FR game. I'd generally fold small PPs to a BTN or CO raise unless I have a specific reason to call, namely:

(a) I think I will get paid off when I hit a set; or

(b) I think I'm reasonably likely to win the pot without a showdown.

Otherwise, I don't think it is profitable to call because:

1. The BTN or CO's range is wide and you are unlikely to get paid off when you hit.

2. You are OOP so it is harder to control the size of the pot and harder to get paid off when you hit.

3. You do not get enough money when you hit to make up for all the times you c/f when you miss.

To make it profitable I think you would need to, for example, sometime c/r bluff when you miss the flop or float OOP v an oppenent who you think will c-bet the flop but give up on the turn. This style of play is just not necessary at the micros and I'd advocate a "solid" style for NL10.

This is kind of dynamic but I'd be more inclined to play versus:

- EP raises
      - Aggressive/spewy opponents
      - With deep effective stacks
      - calling stations

Less included to play versus:

- late position raises
      - good players (unless I think they will fold to a c/r bluff enough when I miss)
      - shallow stacks

Against players whose fold to 3-bet is high (65% plus, preferably 70%+) go ahead and three bet (you can probably profitably do this with ATC) but be aware of the table dynamic and not overdoing it.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Sicko, pretty much what I was thinking, rly nice explanation, thanks