MTTs vs SNGs

• Giova86
      Giova86
      Bronze
      Hello dear fellow strategists,

while I am a discrete SnG player, I have been consistently failing to make it into the money in MTTs (I do not have the exact numbers but I guess the sample data is about 50 MTTs - and the ROI is definitively negative).

:s_confused:

I know the theory for both SnGs and MTTs. I play $11 and $22 SnG, and $11 to $33 MTTs.

Am I such a bad MTT player? I do not know why...

Is it possible that more fishes play SnGs, leaving a much tougher opposition in MTTs?

let me know what you think....
      thanks a lot

G
  • 10 replies
    • santostr
      santostr
      Bronze
      I pretty sure it is the other way around.
      There are a lot of SnG regulars at $11 and $22.

I realy standart to be negative over 50 torneys. I mean... it's standart with SnGs, it's standart in 5k cash game hands.
      MTTs have bigger variance. You get $ at MTT when you hit a big price, witch can take long...
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      you need more buy ins in mtt's then with SnG's because of higher varience. 50 is just a way to small samplesize definatly in mtt's. Also 'mtt's are more about chip accumulation because you need to aim at least to get to the final table whilest SnG it is more important to preserve chips so mtt's require a bit more aggresice strategy then SnG's.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      You can play pretty ABC in MTTs and be a huge winner in the longrun, they are sort of in between cashgames and SNG in that chips in your stack are worth more than chips in other peoples stacks but far less so than in sng.

MTTs are so full of retardos that if you beat $22 sng you'll crush $33 MTTs.

Variance is so high that you'll have serious doubts about your play a lot of the time, on the flipside the big scores are very very great.

Use 100BI BRM at the minimum, usually its hard to find a lot of MTTs with the same BI so you can mix in 1% of you're BR Buy in ones with smaller ones

Good luck
    • Giova86
      Giova86
      Bronze
      Do you really believe there are more fishes in $11 or $22 MTTs then $11 or $22 SnGS ?

From my experience on Party Poker it is the opposite (at least considering maniacs that are out after 10 or 20 hands, I never find them in MTTs but almost always in SnGS).

Also, I think that inexperienced players are more likely to try a SnG (not too many players, it will finish early and looks "cosy") then a MTT.

But maybe it just a wrong impression...

I have learned the basic MTT strategy here on PokerStrategy and use it.
    • Giova86
      Giova86
      Bronze
      i hope someone else will post his/her opinion

• ladman
      ladman
      Bronze
      Playing both I can assure you that there are far more fish in MTT's lured in by high 1st place winnings. They have no clue.
    • AaronLambert
      AaronLambert
      Bronze
      Ya I would add that the larger the field the weaker the field in general. Also, attainable ROIs in MTTs are MUCH higher than SNGs. I'd dabble a bit in MTT SNGs before jumping into just regular MTTs. The variance is a little less and still full of donks. Me included :D
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      The problem with MTT is that they last forever and if they don't have a guareented prize with them it's not as good IMO. SNGs end way faster so I think volume is easier.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      MTT's = fishier, probably more $/hour than sng's.

My question is how big of a jump is from low stakes to mid stakes MTT's? Around 10$ to 20$-30$.
    • ladman
      ladman
      Bronze
      virtually none IMHO, so far the only difference I have noticed is that the higher the BI in low stakes (to low-mid stakes) the shorter the period of maniacs. Ie that first half hour of craziness