[NL20-NL50] Straight River bet too high?

• Edukator99
      Just wondering if a lower bet on the river is a more optimal play.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6, 4.
      UTG2 posts deadblind, MP3 posts deadblind, UTG2 checks, 2 folds, MP3 checks, CO calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, SB calls $0.15, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.5) 9, 2, 3 (6 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($1.5) 5 (6 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG2 bets $0.75, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.75, Hero raises to $3.00, SB folds, BB folds, UTG2 folds, CO calls $2.25.

River: ($8.25) 3 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $4.00, CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $8.25.

I checked in originally as I got priced in and was on the button. Also, 2 players were dead blinds.

Everyone checked the flop and I checked hoping to hit my gutshot...which I did!

I then bet 3x the original bet + 1 more for the extra caller to try and push every one out and protect against the flush draw.

I had 1 caller and the flush draw didn't complete on the river...I had him on a flush draw but was a little worried about a full house.

I then bet $4.00 which was basically 1/2 the pot actually hoping he'd call. I've noticed at low stakes that people tend to call big bets as they think it's a bluff but I've also been burnt on that.

I wanted to bet enough that he wouldn't be able to check raise me without a full house basically.

Thinking back on it now would a value bet of $2.00 have been better? If he had a full house he'd likely raise me not matter what but he might have paid off $2?

The player was unknown, I'd only seen him in 16 hands or something like that.
  • 2 replies