This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] Straight River bet too high?

• Edukator99
      Edukator99
      Bronze
      Just wondering if a lower bet on the river is a more optimal play.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $5.00
      CO:
      $10.79
      BU (Hero):
      $11.13
      SB:
      $10.47
      BB:
      $11.77
      UTG2:
      $5.00
      MP1:
      $5.00
      MP2:
      $4.75

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6, 4.
      UTG2 posts deadblind, MP3 posts deadblind, UTG2 checks, 2 folds, MP3 checks, CO calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, SB calls $0.15, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.5) 9, 2, 3 (6 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($1.5) 5 (6 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG2 bets $0.75, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.75, Hero raises to $3.00, SB folds, BB folds, UTG2 folds, CO calls $2.25.

River: ($8.25) 3 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $4.00, CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $8.25.

I checked in originally as I got priced in and was on the button. Also, 2 players were dead blinds.

Everyone checked the flop and I checked hoping to hit my gutshot...which I did!

I then bet 3x the original bet + 1 more for the extra caller to try and push every one out and protect against the flush draw.

I had 1 caller and the flush draw didn't complete on the river...I had him on a flush draw but was a little worried about a full house.

I then bet $4.00 which was basically 1/2 the pot actually hoping he'd call. I've noticed at low stakes that people tend to call big bets as they think it's a bluff but I've also been burnt on that.

I wanted to bet enough that he wouldn't be able to check raise me without a full house basically.

Thinking back on it now would a value bet of $2.00 have been better? If he had a full house he'd likely raise me not matter what but he might have paid off $2?

The player was unknown, I'd only seen him in 16 hands or something like that.
  • 2 replies