Weird Feeling

• Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I recently started to feel a strange feeling about my game and basically about all my knowledge in poker. No, I'm not gonna whine about bad beats and coolers as I completely understand it's a part of the game, so you can go on reading :)

I don't even know how to describe it properly, but basically.. When I review my sessions and analyze the biggest lost pots I usually find the right mistakes and most of the time I can blame only myself. On the other hand when I review my biggest won pots, I feel very unsure if I'm deserved that. Well it's pretty much clear if we talk about suckouts (KK > AA), but there are lots of pots when I stand on the good side of the cooler (AA > KK). There are also lots of pots that I've won without having the right odds or making other bad play. I mean, I'm always in doubt - I don't know if I'm following the right way, or is this only an illusion created by luck.

It all gets worse when I'm experiencing a downswing - then I feel like a pure loser. I mean, if you know you're playing good and you're following the right way, then yeah whatever, you can take some punches and go through the bad run. But when you are so unsure when you should be - it really sucks.

I'm playing NL10 Rush, my EV is ~+6 BI now, and my profit after ~26k hands is uhm.. 1 BI. To tell the truth, my EV have been like this all the time I'm playing in NL10 Rush. It drives me nuts looking at the graph and constantly thinking "well, it seems I'm pretty lucky, and I can't even make a profit here?? now that's lame, buddy, that's really lame".

Of course I started doubting about my skills first. I've been looking for my best game for a very long time (I mean really long, ~125k hands just to beat NL5), and I found it! Keeping your stats like 22/20/6.5 makes the trick. The more aggressive you are - the less difficult situations you are gonna experience, very nice and easy. The problem is that when I finish the session just where I started (no profit, no loss) all I can remember are "those two huge pots I won making a silly call in the first one and coolering a guy with KK in the second one, so I'm a lucky bastard to finish session with 0BI and not -4BI". And when I finish session with a profit I'm thinking completely the same, not to mention those times when I finish with a loss..

So again, as far as I remember I make profit in poker because I succesfully charge idiots - they pay to see my good hands when they are holding poor or decent ones. And if it's my only source of profit in poker - what's the difference between my play, what's the difference if I play TAG or in station-style? The idiots are gonna pay anyway. So I start thinking about that over and over again, and of course doubting about my skills and proper play over and over again, and getting more and more unsure about wtf I am doing and so on...

I know all the answers of the technical questions, i.e. why raise is better than call, but I'm sure the problem is in my mind. Maybe you guys also have/had experience of this?

P.S. I may be repeating myself a lot in this post, but sorry about that, I'm not a perfect writer :)
  • 5 replies
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      i never had thoughts like this, its pretty simple to avoid thinking about ur bad play. post the hand, be convinced by a coach that the play was good or bad, and then u see the right choice..play 22/20 FR is pretty loose, if its SH its ok.. you mean your doing things like calling down a gutshot or a flushdraw without odds, you hit the river and get all the villains stack? thats fishy play, and u shouldnt do it, coz if you dont get ur miracle card, you loose, longterm constant loose..im playing nl10 rush too for a looong time, and i doubt somebody that aggro can win long term, its hard when ppl are so nitty... if you doubt anything, post the hand and ask around thats the only way..
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      So again, as far as I remember I make profit in poker because I succesfully charge idiots - they pay to see my good hands when they are holding poor or decent ones. And if it's my only source of profit in poker - what's the difference between my play, what's the difference if I play TAG or in station-style? The idiots are gonna pay anyway. So I start thinking about that over and over again, and of course doubting about my skills and proper play over and over again, and getting more and more unsure about wtf I am doing and so on...

That's the basis of making money in poker, you profit off other player's mistakes. As i'm sure you are aware, poker is a game of small edges and long term results, when you are reviewing your sessions take note of your leak in chasing down draws, and don't do it without the odds. Chances are if you looked at your medium-loss hands you will see that you have actually lost money chasing draws without the odds, but because you just check your biggest winning and losing hands you don't see those uncompleted draws.
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Tommy Angelo has a great article on this. Basically you make money playing poker by making fewer mistakes than your opponents. At NL10, everyone makes a tonne of mistakes but the key is just to make less than everyone else.

Being able to spot where you made mistakes is great - you can correct them and make better decisions next time. Might be worth reading some of the mindset articles again to make sure you play your A game as much as possible.

And try to enjoy your poker! It should be fun and if you know some strategy you are miles ahead of most people in the micros and you should be confident about what you're doing.

Good Luck!
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      OZSA - I play 6max. What do you mean "too aggro"? AF like 6 isn't too much IMHO, it's not like 20 :) Aggression actually helps you a lot here, if of course it is used wisely. I mean I'm not 4betting a nit with KJ or 3betting with SC all the time, but I feel much better betting for information than calling and praying "please, not the straight again". Sure, if I'd play in higher limits my opponents would be quick to read all my tricks and find the way to punish me, but.. I'm at microlimits so far :)

Wriggers - I know what you mean, and I actually had that leak some time ago, but I haven't it no more. I completely understand why it is bad, and how to punish guys who doesn't know that. Well, I admit, sometimes I make a stupid mistake, like calling 3bet OOP with SC, or calling against the odds on the flop with a gutshot, but that happens like once or twice in a session, so I don't count it as a leak.
      Again, I think much bigger problem is in my mind than in my technique.

JonikoP - yeah, I think you are very right here, I pretty much lack of self-confidence at this moment.. My thoughts are like:
      • I shoved in a fifty-fifty situation - "I made a mistake and wasted my edge..."
      • I called a shove and saw one of the few hands that beats me (opponents top range) - "I knew that, so why I called???"
      • I shoved with AA and got called by KK - "OK, now let's wait for an opposite situation..."
      • I shoved with top set :s_biggrin: and got called by non-connected Q4o :f_confused: - "Well, anyone could charge this idiot, I just appeared in the right time and in the right place..."
      • I made an actual mistake - "Oh boy, I'm an idiot..."

And so on, and so on... Could you give a link to Tommy Angelo's article, or tell the caption of it?
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Here's the article: http://tommyangelo.com/articles/reciprocality.htm