Size does matter - a career of a short stack player)

• xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Some time ago I decided to start a blog, but I was to lazy to buy cyrillic stickers for my keyboard to start one on russian forum. However, I have discovered this part of forum recently. Short conversation with myself lead to conclusion that starting a blog here definately has positive EV, since cyrillic stickers weren`t a cm closer to my keyboard than they were 3 months ago, when the thought about a blog came into my mind)

What can I say about myself) 20 years ago I was born in a town called Riga, Latvia. Back to the times it was a part of the Soviet union, so originally I am russian, at least my native language is. Around the time I was 18 Latvia became the part of EU and I decided to move) and moved to Holland, where I am residing till the moment, but planning to move to Barcelona in around a year. I have two extremes, I am extemly optimistic and extremly lazy, the last hurts a lot)

As you can see from my short history part, English is far away from beeing my native language, so please forgive me for possible mistakes.

My first poker game happend after about a year living in the Netherlands, when one of my friends offered to play 20euros buy-in sng in one of the evenings. I was happy to play, because loved both cards and gambling) However, I didn`t know that there are games different from 5 draw, which was my best game (played strip poker 2 times :D ). So with a desire to gamble I bought in and was kinda surprised why I was dealt 2 cards instead of five. Since out of 6 players there were 2 more or less good and one solid player, who later became an owner of very succsesfull poker club, I couldn`t let myself loose a face by showing that I have no idea what`s going on :D it took me sometime to figure out whatahell of a game we are playing, however it did not stop me from taking the first place in my first poker game))

However, my second, third and n+1 games weren`t that good, I hope there are still some royal flushes left in the deck fo me :) (Actually, I had one in 5c/10c limit game. I still remeber the taste of miserable dollar I won with my first royal flush :D ).

About a half a year ago I found a pokerstrategy and got pretty much excited about it. I studiyed all the silver theory for both limit and no-limit, read couple of books, but since I was doing it more like fun reading it wasn`t that efficient. Nevertheless, I absorbed most of the ideas, which was enough to win some money, get bonus and waste it in higher limits) At that point I decided that whether I start to play accordingly or give up. and since I felt in love with poker, giving up wasn`t an option) So about month and a half ago I started on Mansion Poker NL10$ with 100$ bankroll and now I am playing on NL50$ with a bankroll 750$.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      History is over, now back to the blog. What for?

Reasons: to add a bit of responsibility to myself and make my career growth more structured and planned. Although I am putting way more effort in my poker education now, I still strongly feel that i am not doing my best. So I guess this may motivate me a bit more.

Since I managed to earn 70$ from T-A-F and 100$ from affiliating PP, I have now 170$ bankroll on party. I am planning to move about 200$ of my bankroll to Party and start playing on both sites. Right now I am accumulating database for party NL50$ and making some software preparations. I guess I will be done till Monday.

How it will look?

Right now I am thinking about the following structure:

I will be posting my "monthly goals" and "weekly goals". At the end of the week I will post my PT data, report on accomplished and not accomplished goals, pick 5 hands I found the most interesting and try deeply analyze them, post goals for the next week and some stories))
      And at the end of the month I will come up with monthly goals report and make a pick of TOP 5 hands.

So this is it for now, since I am oficially starting from Monday, I will post "weekly goals" around sunday.

Good luck at the tables !
  • 117 replies
    • mishh06
      mishh06
      Bronze
      Interesting post! goodluck with it all, and let's hope the next time you hit a royal you can earn more than a dollar ;)
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi xylere!

Nice read! I'm looking forward to your blog! I hope that you will climb up the limits on both sites. Meanwhile: can you tell us what kind of "software preparations" you are making at the moment?

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      nothing that special, but i`ll share

1) collecting hands for PT (there are some in different PS forums) and mining a bit.
      2) adjusting Pa Hud layout
      3) checking the AHK scripts, there are a great variety of them for PP
      4) still have to decide whether to use GLH, which is in german or buy spade eye, haven`t checked any of them yet

plus when I have a solid data sample some research on profit areas won`t hurt :)
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Ok, as I planned I am posting here goals for week 1 (26.11-2.12) and month 1 (26.11-26.12), but I guess monthly goals might be extended on the way.

Unfortunately, I won`t be able to start on Party this Monday, since I messed up my bankroll a bit. I think tommorow I will request T-A-F money, so they`ll come around wednesday I guess and the 100$ I withdrawed on the weekend will be back around the same time. I did, however, play a small session on party in order to adjust a PA Hud layout for tables, and made around 45$ in 500 hands. So when I get all the money that belong to my party account I`ll have a bankroll of 215$ and start playing NL50$.

On the Mansion I am doing quite good and my Bankroll at the start of the week is 850$. Here is my statistics for NL 50$:

So here are my weekly goals:

1) play at least 10k hands
      2) post at least 10 hands
      3) particiapte in at least 10 hand discussions
      4) Try to move to Nl 100$ on Mansion (given sufficient bankroll)
      +5) visit training on tuesday

Monthly goals:

1) read Ed Miller`s Getting started in no-limit holdem
      2) come up with a plan of my future poker career (switching to NLSH or keep short stacking)
      3) reach NL 200 on at least one of the rooms.

Those are not very abmitious and stimulating goals, but I might come up with something more interesting later. I think its enough for the first week, besides sunday is not my best day) I`ll post my short-term results in the middle of the week, I`ll also post anything I found interesting and willing to share with you.

Good luck !
    • ubermice
      ubermice
      Bronze
      i think those are excelent plans and goals , i think i should make some plan like you :D

when you have goals and a schedule i think all work goes much better .
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Well done xylere!

Your plan will pay off! I'm sure you will be successful. And yes: everyone should make such a plan :)

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Puschkin81, thank you very much for your support, it is really helpfull. Thanks also goes to everybody who is spending their time reading my blog.

Now I am having a break between 2nd and 3rd mini sessions (500 hands) and I decided to think about the topics I would like to discuss here in future.

I decided to post my thougts on picked topics once in a week, since I don`t want to make a senseless posts. So before I come up with some thoughts and ideas I want to make sure that I did some research on it. The reason why I decided to share my opinion with everybody is because, in the first place, I want to develop my thoughts on topics and found possible leaks in my way of thinking. So here are the list of topics I will discuss here in the next 3 weeks:

- SSS: Table slection
      - SSS: Hand posting
      - SSS: What do we learn playing short stack

Those I want to make in the form of short articles, where I will share my thoughts and approach.

But for now, I want to share some ideas on the topic I called "Side reading for Poker player". It`s not a prepared article as it will be next week on one of the topics.
      Most of you, I guess, read some poker literature, but in this post I want to discuss books, that are not directly related to poker, but might be helpfull for a poker player (or in general). I will present two books, one of them i haven`t read myself, but I definately will in the future. The second book is from my "Top 10" collection.

I`ll start with the one I haven`t read yet and this is "Zen in the art of Archery".

I first found it mentioned in Full Tilt Poker - tips from the pros section. This is what Howard Lederer says about it:

"I've recently started reading some books on Zen Buddhism. Zen has always been associated with the fine arts of flower arranging, calligraphy, and tea making. But there is also quite a tradition of Zen in swordsmanship and archery. Through reading these books and, in particular, Zen in the Art of Archery, I have a greater understanding of the process one goes through to master an art form. And poker is most certainly an art form."

Well, I am an adept :D of traditional western psychology, but when I have a chance to contribute to my thinking process, I will barely miss it. Besides, from the information I was able to get from internet, this one is very solid read. So I guess I will write a detailed report on the book as soon as I'll read it. It will happen around january I guess.

Next book I would reccomend to everybody is a very short novella form about a seagull learning about life and flight, and a homily about self-perfection and self-sacrifice, "Jonathan Livingston Seagull", written by Richard Bach. I guess most of you read this one during the school years, but not everybody understand how good it is. Basically, it is a very powerfull metaphor for extending your capabilities frame. It might help you during the downswings, at least I found it very refreshing and it takes about an hour to read it) You can find it in google in case you are interested.

Till now this is all I wanted to say) I hope it wasn`t a complete waste of time)
      Good luck !
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi xylere!

Thanks for this post. Nice read. I'm looking forward to your articles!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      interesting, linking philosophy with poker.

i don't know about the zen archery book though, maybe it applies more for live games than online with the ability to establish a zen-like poker face?
    • Classical
      Classical
      Bronze
      Zen in the Art of Archeray is a beautiful and moving book. Highly recommended.
      I can imagine it could really help your play, particularly dealing with variance, and certainly also on-line where there are no outside control mechanisms.
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Hi xylere,

Nice posts to read, I hope these books can really help you to play at an higher level of poker.

Good luck!
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,

I am here with a midterm update on my poker career. First of all, since tuesday I am an official Nl 100$ player. So far I played about 5k hands (on NL 100), starting with a huge upswing and finishing with a huge downswing. But the funny thing is - the last one didn`t affect me at all. I started my session with loosing 12 buy-ins ! I ran 5 times into Aces and lost to some incredible hands) But it not only didn`t affect my game, it didn`t affect my mood at all, instead I just laughed at most of my bad beats :) and it makes me feel really positive... I feel I am getting strong ressistance and I am willing to pay money for it !
      Actually when I updated my PT stats after the session I found myself only 4 buy-ins down) That surprised my and I figured out that I was so much concentrated on my game that I didn`t have even approximate feeling where I am at) My winrate is down from 6.5BB to 3BB, but it doesn`t bother me at all...

So up to now I`ve almost cleared my weekly goals:

- I played 7,5k Hands
      - I moved to NL 100$ on Mansion
      - I posted even more than 10 hands I guess, discussed more for sure.
      - I visited training on tuesday (though was late for half an hour))

And I finally collected my bankroll on Party. So I will start playing on selective NL 50$ tables from today, unless I`ll have big enough bankroll to start multitabling. My goal is to get a silver status on the next update and to get a gold one after it.

So this is it for now and at the end a little piece of poker humor:

"Legendary player Puggy Pearson asked his notoriously sarcastic girlfriend Cheryl Davis if she would still love him if he was broke. She said, "Of course I`d still love you Pug, and I'd miss you too..." :)
      <c> Barry Greenstein - Ace on the river

I hope all of you are also doing great ! Good luck !
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi xylere!

Nice to read that your psychological skills are that strong. And a winrate of 3BB is really good. Don't expect to get a winrate of 6.5BB/100 over 100k hands. I hope you keep moving up and I hope you are not only going for silver and gold status! ;)

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Hi xylere,

Nice to hear you're moving up already and that u have achieved most of your goals. Keep making new ones and keep going for perfection :D Very nice winrate, keep going

Good luck
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,

I am here with a late update on the previous week and new goals for the current week. I am late here as the result of the leaks I had in my plan and schedule. Basically, I played too much at the begininning of the last week and by the end of the week I started seeing poker everywhere around)) So I decided to take a reasonable rest from poker till Monday. So there are some fixes in my dayly and weekly schedule that I am going to test this week.

Now it looks the folowing way:

Monday-Friday - 1,5k hands per day (approx 4 hours) and 2-3 hours of theory (Hand posting and discussion, sessions review, instructional hands, etc...)
      Sturday - rest
      Sunday - planning day (blog report, wekly schedule and anything else poker-related)

I also decided to postpone Top 5 hands thing, since I don`t think i can present a lot of interesting stuff here. Maybe later, when I have more experience and will play higher limits I will think about it again. But now I don`t feel like I am ready to discuss an advanced part of the game.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Ok, Now about my game progress:
      My joint bankroll at the end of the week was:
      Party B(282$) + Mansion (1400$)= 1682$ So I made about 700$ last week. I guess this is quite decent result, but it can be better.

Below is my PT data from the last 9k hands I played on NL 100$(I played also 4k hands on NL 50$ Manion&Party (13k weekly total), but I see no reason to post them.

Seems like I was flop agressive last week) I have also recently discovered "Treat BB as a Big Blind" checkbox and now my winrate doubled up) Haven`t changed my bankroll though) But still nice)

So all the weekly goals are cleared. I have also read Ed Miller's Getting into holdem book, which is a good book for those who want to get familiar with poker) I was hoping to find some advice on advanced SSS play, but this part of the book describes the basic SSS strategy, therefore, no reason to buy this it. So right now I am reading No limit holdem: theory and practice, which is quite good.

And goals for the next week are:
      - play according to the schedule decribed above (5x1.5k - 7,5k-10k hands)
      - keep hand posting
      - visit russian SSS coaching on wednesday (Unfortunately, i can not visit berliner`s coaching today)
      - Review all 46(or smthing) instructional hands, sort them into topics, organize into plan and start studying)
      - think of an article on one of the topics I was talking about in previous posts and write it on Sunday
      - Think of some hand analyzing excersize, which I can do every day for some short time (30min) and which will likely improve my game in the long run.

This is it. As you can notice plan is more about studying than concentrating on practice. The reason for it is that I don`t want to rush before the New Year, since most probably I won`t be able to spend a lot of time playing poker in a couple of weeks. But starting from the middle of January I am going to set some ultimate goals weekly and monthly that will require way more effort from my side to accomplish.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, I found one great AHK script for party called PotOddsHUd NG, which dispalys

1) Pot size
      2) Pot odds
      3) Outs needed to call
      4) Implied odds on popup
      (pot+amount_to_call)*(1+x)-amount_to_call]/amount_to_call (x = percentage of the future pot you expect to get on the next street)
      You can configure layout and which of them to display.

I liked it, because it won`t hurt to know your exact pot odds to make more precise decisions... especially when multitabling

- The end -

Good luck !
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi xylere!

Nice progress. And nice plans of course! Studying the game is even more important than playing itself. Concerning your bankroll management: I don't think it's a good idea to play at NL100 with a bankroll of $1,500. You should have at least $2,500 for this limit. I recommend that you play NL50 until you have a sufficient bankroll.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Heh, I won`t miss my chance to recommend you rereading our Bankroll management articles :P http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/219/2/

playing SSS I need 800$ to move to NL 100$... I moved when I had 1k$ (50 buy-ins)... So I have quite conservative approach))
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Alright! Thought you were playing the big stack strategy. Sorry, my mistake :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Wow Puschkin made a mistake :D So he is a human after all ;) Thought he was like a 10-armed machine doing 15 things at the same time.

@ xylere: nice plans you have for upcoming week, try to stick with it and you'll improve your playing!!!