Edge?

• Tibovw
      Tibovw
      Bronze
      What is edge? It's 'being better' then the field i guess?

I understand the word edge kinda, but my question is:

What does it mean poker wise exactly? (definition maybe?)
      How do SNGwiz and ICMtrainer use edge in their calculations?
      Should I pay attention to this reviewing things? (I was always adviced to put it on 0)

So basicly I'm looking for some information on the term edge :D

ps: I got the idea after reading this hand

5$ non-turbo STT J9o blind war BS vs SS

maybe this gives a better idea of what I mean exactly and what I'm looking for as an answer

Thx !

Tibovw
  • 1 reply
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I set the edge to 0 most of the time. If a push will gain 0.1% of the prize pool with everything adjusted correctly, then it's a push I want to make.

Historically, SNG analysis programs like SNG Power Tools took a shortcut. They assumed that if the hero folded, then the raiser or the big blind would win the hand, with no collisions between opponents. In practice, those collisions are a valuable source of equity, and ignoring the collisions undervalued folding. So, an edge parameter was added that players could adjust to account for collisions after they folded. This is no longer necessary because programs like SNG Wizard now calculate collisions after you fold. So, although there is a vestigial edge % since some people expect it to be there, the main reason for it is gone.

It is true that the very best players should give up some small edges which come with a lot of immediate chip variance. Unfortunately, players who are not close to the very best misinterpret this as that they will become good by turning down larger and larger edges. This is not the case at all. The main skill you should be developing is recognizing edges, and for this to be valuable you need to take them, not turn them down.

Historically, the level of play in SNGs was much worse, and players could sustain ROIs over 40%. Nothing close to this appears possible today. To get a good ROI now, don't turn down small edges. Or large edges you might mistakenly think are small.

Suppose you feel that you have already achieved a high ROI which justifies turning down edges, or you have particularly bad opponents in this tournament. You should not use the same required edge for decisions which guarantee that you will play a large pot, like calling all-in, and for decisions where you might have a 20% chance to play a large pot, like pushing, and for decisions where you have a 0% chance to play a large pot, like pushing in front of short stacks.

If you use the default edges from SNG Wizard, you will be building flaws into your game which will cost you money.