EV line?

• Edukator99
      Edukator99
      Bronze
      I'm not sure if this is the right board but it's a pretty simple question.

I have Poker Tracker 3 and I can't figure out what the purpose of the EV line is on the graph. It bascially tells me what I know. When I win it goes up when I lose it goes down. My winnings are always above it which I know is good but shouldn't it sometimes go up when I lose or down when I win? Cause I sucked out or got a bad beat?
  • 6 replies
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      when the EV line is higher then your winnings it means you was lucky and you suckedout.
      ex: ev says 400$
      winning says 200$, what you should win is 200$ but u was lucky and u got 400$. EV is ur fair share of winnings, like if u have AA vs KK and u go allin u have 80% vs 20%, so u get EV for that 80%, in this case ur EV will go below ur winning, but when u loose KK vs AA it will go above ur winning..so all in all, it represents what you should have won.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by OZSA
      when the EV line is higher then your winnings it means you was lucky and you suckedout.
      ex: ev says 400$
      winning says 200$, what you should win is 200$ but u was lucky and u got 400$. EV is ur fair share of winnings, like if u have AA vs KK and u go allin u have 80% vs 20%, so u get EV for that 80%, in this case ur EV will go below ur winning, but when u loose KK vs AA it will go above ur winning..so all in all, it represents what you should have won.
      it is the other way around: if ev line is higher than your winning it means that you have been unlucky
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      lol, how did i write that..ye thazar is right, i just had some ping timeouts in my brain when i wrote that i guess..lol
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Hello!

The EV line only takes hands where players are all-in into account, and is generally a bad indicator of luck. For example if you flop a set of aces and get it in on the river against runner runner quad 2s, that's obviously just terrible luck, but all-in EV does not reflect this.

Also for those saying being above EV means you have sucked out/are lucky, that not necessarily true at all. If you only went all-in with 90% equity you would pretty much always run above the EV line, but you really can't say that is because of luck.

Here is a good post on all-in EV if you are interested.
    • Edukator99
      Edukator99
      Bronze
      Wow. Great post you shared there. Thanks. I think, if I understand it well enough that I can now happily ignore the all in EV line on the graph. Seems pretty useless.
    • joecar
      joecar
      Silver
      Originally posted by Edukator99
      Wow. Great post you shared there. Thanks. I think, if I understand it well enough that I can now happily ignore the all in EV line on the graph. Seems pretty useless.
      Don't ignore it its a good reference