[NL2-NL10] FR NL25 - TP weak kicker on paired drawless flop

• Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Is it correct to check on the flop?

Of course, comments on any other streets are welcome.

No Limit Hold'em
      Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
      Stacks
      Hero: $25.70
      BB: $86.45

Pre-flop: ( 8 players) Hero is MP1 with 7 :club: 9 :club:
      A few calls, a few folds, no raises... and 4 players see the flop. I was last to act on the flop.

Flop: 9 :diamond: 2 :heart: 2 :spade: ($1, 4 players)
      4 check.

I didn't bet out here because I was probably only get called by a 2, a 9 with a better kicker, or an overpair (wich I think would be very unlikely). So I decide to check along, keep the pot small and see the turn.

Turn: J :heart: ($1, 4 players)
      3 check, Hero bets $0.80, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds.

Here I decided to bet because of the straight and flush draws.

River: 6 :heart: ($2.60, 2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Thought I was only going to get called by a better hand so I checked along.

Just one more question, but not about this hand. Is it ok for me to write my thoughts on why I played the hand the way I did? I've been doing this on the hands I'm posting, I'd like to know if it's a good thing or not.
  • 5 replies
    • aanty2000
      aanty2000
      Bronze
      if you check that flop you should definetly check it down to the end . the flop was a better spot to bet and get info . just a better 9 or a 2 would have called you. on the turn you dont get this info anymore. maybe a j or a flush draw would call
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      You probably have he best hand on the flop but with 3 opponents just about half the deck could change this on the turn. 33-88 might call after your "obvious position raise". Some hero might even call with A-x to keep you honest. I'd check this from the SB but with position it is OK to bet here since you will probably be able to control the pot size or get out of the way of danger. I'd auto-bet $0.75 here.

The more relevent information you include in your posts the better.
    • Sleyde
      Sleyde
      Black
      MP1 you should definitely fold 79s preflop. This is a hand with which you need to have position to play profitably. on the flop I'd bet out. Most often, this flop will have missed your opponents and you can take down the pot.

you should not bet the turn if you check the flop. with the jack on the board it is more likely that you are beat.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sleyde
      with the jack on the board it is more likely that you are beat.
      But it was checked to me, there was only one player to act behind me. I don't think the J is much of a threat.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aanty2000
      if you check that flop you should definetly check it down to the end .
      Yeah, I realize it... now. :(

I wasn't playing for the pair anyway but the flush or straight. That's why I called PF, should've sticked to my plan.